Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sad end a great aircraft that served Australia so well. The F111

Article about: by big ned There is a cracking example of the F-111F in the museum at RAF Cosford down the road from me (entry is free!). It's a beast of an aircraft, our example came from Lakenheath, here'

Default Re: Sad end a great aircraft that served Australia so well. The F111

Quote by big ned View Post
    There is a cracking example of the F-111F in the museum at RAF Cosford down the road from me (entry is free!). It's a beast of an aircraft, our example came from Lakenheath, here's a picture of it.

Attachment 458399

And some of you may not know that the method of ejecting from the aircraft was pretty spectacular, the whole cockpit 'capsule' with both crew members would eject piecemeal from the aircraft, as can be seen in this short video.

F-111 capsule ejection - YouTube

Impressive stuff I think you'll agree!

Regards, Ned.
    Great video, cheers Ned!...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

The F111 ejection capsual had a high fatality/injury rate and was not well liked by crews for this reason.
    Here's an interesting link re F111 ejections
    Date
    Replaced in RAAF service with the less capable (IMO) F18E/F Supers (less range,less payload but a better radar)
    A great old bird that served it's role well (long range strike) with it's ground following radar,good unrefueled range and large payload (internal and external).
    The SU27-30 series fighters in the Asian region sealed their fate in the end.
    Cheers
    Dave

In the clause for the Australian purchase of the F-111 in 1973, it was decreed by joint US and Australian parties that at the end of the Aircrafts life time it was to be dismantled to a non arms bearing state and placed in landfills or totally scrapped. The dismantlement of parts could only be used by the RAAF and was not allowed to be sold or traded. A sad end indeed.
    Morris

?

Quote by robin morley View Post
    Well 50 years from now they will be digging them up again and selling them for a fortune.

50 years from now there'll be an urban legend about how 150+ pristine F-111's were buried in their shipping crates underneath an airport runway, and are waiting to be dug up!

An interesting thread, during my service with the RAAF concerns were repeatedly being raised over the survival and serious injury rate of aircrews attempting forced landings and/or ejection from our F1-11's.

You have pictures of the planes, so in 50 years, it's will be possible to take them from the ground. Not like the Spitfires!

I have to add that when we had these, the spares came from moth balled USAF F111's in the bone yard in Nevada

Its no different in the UK really, hundreds of Tornado F3 and GR1/4s are going through spares recovery at RAF Leeming and then the airframes are going to Middlesborough to the smelter, a little more green than land fill but a sad end all the same.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    No scrap yards in the UK?
    Strange.
    chris
    There not in the UK mate, there down under in the land of Aus, its Ipswich in Australia not the UK.

Here in the states at Davis Moffit air salvage yard in Arizona, they are scraping these. I use to buy a lot of Governmet surplus ( I Have a Government bidding number) and these would come up now and then to be bid on for scrap only purchase. I really cried when a lot of 4 F-4 Phantoms came up. Sometimes museums can request these for static displays and recieve them less engines and Classified equipment. Maybe a request is in order to recieve one for display. If you are a Municipality or museum. We have a CH1 Huey with Vietnam service records setting as a Memorial to vietnam veterans in a town north of me. The man that arranged it was friends of some army general.
    So sad these pieces of history have to be scraped.
    Just my thoughts,

John

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast