Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress

Article about: Hi Guys, here are a few pics I took a few years ago (2004) of this famous aircraft. Taken at Duxford Imperial War Museum. She is seen here in the guise of the "Memphis Belle" The a

Default The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress

Hi Guys, here are a few pics I took a few years ago (2004) of this famous aircraft. Taken at Duxford Imperial War Museum. She is seen here in the guise of the "Memphis Belle"

The aircraft has it's own website which you can see here:

B-17 Preservation Ltd - The Sally B Website

I have seen her flying many times and she is an impressive sight!

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress   The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress  

The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress   The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress  

The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress   The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress  

?

Default Re: The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress

Hey Ade,
    Nice pictures.
    I was at Duxford this spring and got a few pics as well (se below).
    A funny fact is, that Sally B is only Sally B on the one side. On the other side it is...yes you guess it: Memphis Belle
    All the B-17 (six in total) participating in the movie was paintet to look like two different planes.
    Last nerd question: What's the problem with Sally B and Memphis Belle is the same A/C?
    Answer: The Sally B was a G model and the Memphis Belle only an F model
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress   The "Sally B": the UK's only airworthy B17 Flying Fortress  

Hey Allan,

Here's a follow up nerd question, the later F models were basically G models, but where was the first late F model produced with the chin turret?

Gary

?

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Hey Allan,

Here's a follow up nerd question, the later F models were basically G models, but where was the first late F model produced with the chin turret?

Gary
    LOL
    That IS a good question!

All I know is that the very first B-17 with the chin turret, was an experimental "F" model (XB-40) flow in September of 1943, and that Douglas and Vega build most of the "F" models. I think it was Vega that was commissioned to build the XB-40, but the modifications were done by Douglas at Tulsa, Oklahoma. But it is speculation. I really don't know for sure

Agreed Ade!

The star of any airshow!!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem