Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skin with Kill Marks

Article about: I am posting a few pictures of a recent pick up. This was purchased from the daughter of the veteran who brought this piece home. She knew nothing of her fathers service or any info on the p

?

Default Skin with Kill Marks

I am posting a few pictures of a recent pick up. This was purchased from the daughter of the veteran who brought this piece home. She knew nothing of her fathers service or any info on the piece other than where it hung as a child and its movement from basement to garage to shed to her possession. I have also purchased his uniform and tags which shows 13th Army Air Corp. Consists of one straight, complete section mounted on a board for hanging. I apologize for the hasty pictures but they weren't originally taken for posting. I have a concern or 2 but believe there to be logical explanations. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Skin with Kill MarksSkin with Kill MarksSkin with Kill MarksSkin with Kill MarksSkin with Kill Marks

?

Very cool!
    I see a wire for hanging on a wall, are you going to put it on a wall?
    It would look very nice.

?

If you have concerns with it you should send it to me. Very cool piece. Gary

MAP
    ?

Well with the provenance I think it stands a good chance. A great looking piece that would be the centerpiece of any collection.

It has been stored very well with little aging. I see there were some Japanese flags that were removed/painted over at one point.

I don't know much about these but a bit confusing to have a ship in the same paint with Madam X (which I assume is the name of the bomber/fighter bomber). The Cactus airforce as they were called also didn't appear to be stationed in Midway. But I'm getting ahead of myself....let's wait for others.

I do always wonder what the red dots next to the bombs stand for. I've seen this on other skins....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I like the look of it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Looks like the real deal to me.

Michael brings up an interesting point about the same yellow paint
    being used on the name and on the ship. However as someone who has
    worked the last 30 years building and repairing semitrailers, and has drilled out
    thousands of rivets, That piece of metal definitely came off of something and the paint
    work was done long before it was taken apart.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Thanks for the comments to date. My use of the word "concerns" was probably was too strong but there had been painting after the fact I thought may have raised an eyebrow. Here is an interesting picture of the actual Madame X during repairs from a belly landing I found. I would assume at some point this piece was removed for repairs of some sort, kept for what it was, touched up and added the name to identify the plane?? If you notice in the picture the first two bomb stencils there appears to paint damage. I believe my second picture shows those same two stencils with discoloration from paint touch up??
    This Veteran is not listed as a crew member. Could he have been a mechanic for that crew and plane?? How can one research a specific job held by an individual serviceman??
    Once again any advice or comments appreciated.
    Skin with Kill Marks

Great photo that conclusively proves to me it's from that aircraft. I agree the name Madam X (along with the red dots) was added after that sheet of metal was removed. The question of when it was removed is less clear. Was it removed during the repairs shown in the photo, or after the war when the aircraft was being scraped?

MAP
    ?

Yeah...I can see how that touched up paint would REALLY bother you. Send it to me so I can ease your concern !!!!

Nice detective work. I searched for this planes name (Madam X) earlier and only found some photos not really suitable for this forum LoL. Just search again and found this great link (maybe you already saw it). Some other photos, this time without the Midway star, only 8 bombing missions and only 3 Japanese flags so they were taken earlier. But the plane did participate in Midway.

Odd thing is that the plane was lost in action and never returned to base. So I would assume that this skin was taken off during that repair from your photo. Then went on another mission and never returned.

Pacific Wrecks - B-17E "Madame X" Serial Number 41-2525

Edit: Apparently artist Ron Cole even painted Madam X and titled it "Alone". Can't find the picture but there are references to it during web searches. Maybe he knows a bit more about the plane if you contact him....who knows! You might find out a bit more info.

World War 2 Aviation Art & Historic Aircraft Relic Displays - Ron Cole
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast