Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

small propeller

Article about: I have nothing of value to add, but it looks very cool.

Default small propeller

Hey guy's,

I just found thise small propeller, any idea what it might be used for, please?
    No markings. 86cm big.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture small propeller   small propeller  

small propeller   small propeller  

Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Somebody's woodworking project Kris.
    The carved hub wouldn't last a minute under power.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Kris,

It looks like it may be a prop for an aircraft/airship mounted wind generator. This generator below is from 1918, it was used in WWI aircraft to provide power for the primitive radios used for artillery spotting. I am not the albino.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture small propeller  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ok. So if like Ned says it drives something like a generator then it would be strong enough but not if it was being driven by a motor IMO. The blade root / hub looks just too weak
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I was also thinking it could or would generated power to something and not to impel.

cheers
    |<ris

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Somebody's woodworking project Kris.
    The carved hub wouldn't last a minute under power.

Dan
    I agree with Dan on this one. The hub is too small, made of multiple sections and IMO to thin to handle bolts being driven through to mount to the shaft. There are also pins that appear to be in the hub that would get in the way of mounting bolts.

Just my opinion.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Ok. So if like Ned says it drives something like a generator then it would be strong enough but not if it was being driven by a motor IMO. The blade root / hub looks just too weak
    The blade has a very flat angle/pitch that whilst giving sustained power to a generator over varying speeds, is not giving any thrust or torque worth worrying about that may cause it to fail if it was under adjustable mechanical power from an engine. All that's required is for it to turn the armature of the jenny at a speed sufficient to produce the electrical power needed to run the radio and hence it doesn't need to be as robust or efficient over a range of cruising speeds......I think.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Maybe there was a clock or something else mounted in this propeller and was it just a decoration piece like this:

I go for a ww1 aircraft generator.

Thanks for the input guy's!
    I was redirected to a propeller forum (yes it exist!!;-)).
    The only answer I got there, so far,is ;
    At best, it was an early auxiliary prop of some kind. The hub has obviously been cut out for a clock. Positive ID is probably impossible.
    I think I 'll stick to that!
    It's dimmensions makes it very good to be used in a small aviation display I might put up in a while.
    cheers
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast