Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Spitfire and other Parts found at Jamestown South Australia.

Article about: Hello,most of these are parts found at Jamestown a while ago. During the war wrecked aircraft were sent by rail from Darwin to Treowie. They were stored in paddocks. At that time materials w

?

Default Spitfire and other Parts found at Jamestown South Australia.

Hello,most of these are parts found at Jamestown a while ago.
    During the war wrecked aircraft were sent by rail from Darwin to Treowie. They were stored in paddocks. At that time materials were scarce, so some of the local farmers would raid the wrecks for parts to be used for various odd jobs.
    Most of these parts were found in and behind a shed at Jamestown.
    There is a Spitfire under carriage leg, a spit spat, u/c gauge and other various parts.
    I was interviewing RAAF WW2 blokes at the time, and decided to get signatures
    on the spat by any pilots and ground crew that had flown or serviced Spitfires.
    The first bloke is Jim who worked at Laverton on the Merlin engines.
    The second is Des Cormack, a DFC PILOT WHO LOVED HIS SPITTY.
    The spat is now covered in names.
    I am not sure what some of the other parts are.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spitfire and other Parts found at Jamestown South Australia.   Spitfire and other Parts found at Jamestown South Australia.  

Spitfire and other Parts found at Jamestown South Australia.   Spitfire and other Parts found at Jamestown South Australia.  

Spitfire and other Parts found at Jamestown South Australia.   Spitfire and other Parts found at Jamestown South Australia.  

?

Default Re: Spitfire and other Parts found at Jamestown South Australia.

Fascinating stuff, Tobruk. You got quite a selection! The tube items in the second pic are Spitfire control locks and the flat plate in the seventh is for mounting the flap selector lever on the instrument panel. The superchargers are off something american I think. The UC indicator is very nice indeed! Thanks for posting.

Hi Tobruk,

Second photo down, the black spring is the recoil spring for a 20mm Hispano cannon.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I would love to get my hands on that undercarrage leg and u/c indicator, slightly gutted i dont live in auz

smithy2u
    ?

Hi,
    I am helping to restore a MK9 Spitfire back to flight condition in the UK. We could use some of those parts. Are you interested in selling any of them to help put an old WW2 Spitfire back in the air? Kind regards
    Paul

?

Hi TOBRUK i use to live not far from jamestown, i never relised that the Darwin Spits were brought down to Treowie. A Friend of mine bought a Anson from the Port Pirie Air Base after the war and it sat on his farm for many years rotting away like a lot of War Surplus Aircraft around that aria

Greg

PeterBL628
    ?

Can see some seat spring assembly tubes, bomb mounts, fuel tank pump and filter, Fuel tank shutoff assembly, brake differential valve assembly, wheel spat looks like Mk 5, flap valve mount plate 351.....' ! Header tank balance pipe copper pipe, undercarriage chassis indicator, Footrest plates in cockpit. Be interested to view and identify by part number other bits from the parts manual.
    Regards Peter
    Adelaide
    Spitfire restorer