Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Super Lightning?

Article about: During World War II, the Lockheed developed a long-range version of its famous fighter P-38 Lightning, however, due to technical problems the project was canceled. The link below provides a

Default A Super Lightning?

During World War II, the Lockheed developed a long-range version of its famous fighter P-38 Lightning, however, due to technical problems the project was canceled. The link below provides a collection of interesting photos of the plane and a question: If the plane had entered service, have reached the success of the P-38? What do you think? Visit the link, see the photos and answer this question through a poll at the end of the post.

Avia

Best Regards.

Looks like a cross between the Lightning and the Black widow!...

"If it looks right it flies right" used to be the saying......And that don't.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

109s & 190s would chew it to pieces.

?

not that you will ever see this but it was called the XP 58 "chain lightning" and it had two experimental Allison engines V-24 that never could make the grade. I think they built 3 and i believe the first crashed on its maiden flight. They tried several other engine combos but it was a failure. I think one eventually made it to Wright Patterson but the project was abandoned as the none of the engine combos tested worked correctly.