MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Waco glider

Article about: Hello, in France, one collegue is building one WACO. If you can help it ... https://www.facebook.com/Gliderborne

Default Waco glider

Hello, in France, one collegue is building one WACO.
    If you can help it ...
    https://www.facebook.com/Gliderborne

Hello everybody,

I'm the administrator of one of these project, I add below this text the introduction who I did for an other forum. For do an abstract, they are two projects :
    One project, the first - not mine, made by the airborne-vendee association (West of France), is an awsome project for rebuilt a Waco Glider from scratch.
    The other, mine, who is less impresive, is a restauration of parts that I found by random discoveries. With the aim of re-use all orginal parts as I can.

Hope you will like and as in others forum I will try to refresh this post as soon as possible.
    Otherwise go on https://www.facebook.com/Gliderborne for fresh news. (Free page - no facebook account necessary)

Mat

During the 2013 commemoration of D-day in Normandie, I spoke with friends who rebuilt a glider Waco.

ldr508pir82airbornevendee - Nous & l'histoire

I really enjoy the idea and therefore I would to do the same for the 70th celebration.

This summer; I saw in Normandy a militaria shop who had to sale a middle frame of a glider Waco .

So I done my holidays around Sainte-Mère Eglise ( to drive my cushman in hedges and found some fabrics of parachutes in the ground).

And I came back with the glider frame.

Probably not in the best condition of the world, but an original which flew into the european sky in 1940's.

Not sure, but I have some information who show that he was probably discovered in Holland.

So since september I spend my spare time to seek the missing parts on internet or in militaria flea markets.

One of major help is The Glider and Military Museum in the Iron Mountain MI who helps me by selling a lots of surplus parts of their restoration project.

Waco CG-4A Glider Built at the Kingsford MI Ford Motor Plant During World War 2 on Display

I redid a floor :

And welded some parts:

And found more parts :

and drawn :

And found more parts :

And more :

Since the beginning I started a facebook page who help me to collect documents, informations and contacts :

https://www.facebook.com/Gliderborne

And communicate with the most people possible to find missing parts and try to finish the frame as soon as possible, the best date would be the June 6th, 2014.

So if you have some books, pictures or anything who will can help us for this project, I will be very glad and grateful if you can get in touch with us.

At the end, the glider will be put in a museum, with conditions. (some European museums has encountered problems with missing parts...)

++ []

Mat

Ps : English isn't my first language, sorry for missing words or wrong written phrases.

Hi Mat, welcome and good luck with your project!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Now that's a very interesting project!...

Default Restoration of a Glider Waco CG-4A structure.

good luck

Looks like a great project. I will be looking forward to seeing the finnished results'

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Very interesting .
    chris

Hi all,

I just make an exchange for the rear frame, metal structure is now complete at 2/3.
    Rear frame come from Le Muy/Operation Dragoon, Cargo Frame from Holland/Market Garden and wheel from Normandie/Neptune.

Waouh !!!! I hope you ccan find the wings now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast