Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?

Article about: Hi guys im new to this site but trying to find out about a relic iv found from a heinkel 111p that force landed in a field in worthing it has a very interesting history with lots of details

?

Default worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?

Hi guys im new to this site but trying to find out about a relic iv found from a heinkel 111p that force landed in a field in worthing it has a very interesting history with lots of details of the crash on the net it was shot down by spitfires from 602 squadron but really im just trying to find out if any of you guys would know what part of the aircraft its from ? iv seen photos of the crash and the aircraft was almost complete so im thinking it must be part of the bottom of the engine or maybe a smashed wheel part ? please helpworthing heinkel 111p relic help ?worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?

From being made of thick metal i would say its has to be part of the engine case or wheel but without any number stamps its hard to say which it is

?

worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?it does have one small stamp on it that i need to try and take a photo of but the camera im using at the moment is really bad and the stamp is so small I cant get any good pics of it just yet but are give it a go. Hope it helps it almost looks a bit like the Heinkel badge itself but dosnt have the line across the middle of the H

?

Looks like part of the rim off a wheel ...... the thick lip being the bead where the tyre seals.

Could be the circular flange from the top of the self sealing fuel tanks?
    They had a similar shape with a steel band ( the rust residue )
    I'll try to find a photo.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

hear are a few pics of the crash it was shot down by a spitfire from 602 squadron there is also a good book all about the crash called A German on Worthing soil worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?[ATTACH=CONFIG]758374[/ATworthing heinkel 111p relic help ?TACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images worthing heinkel 111p relic help ? 

?

it also has black marks that look like smoke or fire damage on it so im thinking more engine but from the photos it dosnt look to have been on fire but i guess one of the engines could of been smoking before it crashed I know one engine had been knocked out by the spitfire forcing it to crash

I'm with Gary, this is part of a wheel assembly. The thick rounded bead speaks to a wheel hub. It is curious that there is a fragment of wheel hub as the aircraft made what appears to be wheels up landing? Why would it be in pieces, was the wheel hit by gunfire/shrapnel during the aircraft's sortie? That bullet holes are concentrated in the aft fuselage and tail leaves me to wonder if this find is from that aircraft? Were there other crashes in this area over the years?

Respectfully just my 2 cents.

Chris....

?

well one of the report iv read says that it was trying to land wheels down at the time and it had a spitfire still on its tail shooting at it as it was trying to make its landing iv also read one from one of the german aircrew that survived and he said the same thing that he was shocked the spitfire was still shooting them up when it was so clear they had to make a forced landing

?

the reports can be found by looking up ww2 honeysuckle lane crash or ww2 high salvington crash

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast