Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markings

Article about: Hi, I just found this panel..this comes from an old house where a ww1 veteran association was stationated. In the back of the fabric is written in italian "ventral parts of a austrian f

Default ww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markings

Hi,
    I just found this panel..this comes from an old house where a ww1 veteran association was stationated. In the back of the fabric is written in italian "ventral parts of a austrian fighter shot down on Piave river 1918"
    I assume it is original...just wondering what is the meanings of the markings and type of aircraft?
    Anyone can help?

ww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markingsww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markingsww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markings

Hi drago

Can you put a tape measure (preferably in mm) against the back of the fabric and zoom in?

Can you also have a macro on the front?

Cheers
    Tim

Unless a person could match the markings to a squadron, it could be pretty tough identifying the aircraft...

However, doing a brief scan of the Piave River and the fighter units in the area is interesting. The Piave River was Austria's last major offensive of the war. It doesn't appear that there were huge numbers of fighter squadrons involved in it, but the ones that were likely flew Albatross D.III's. A number of famous pilots flew fighters in the area such as Godwin von Brumowski and Hermann Gilly, and there they faced such aces as Canada's Billy Barker and others. A quick Google of their names gives a tantalizing hint. Here is a good website that shows the various planes in the Italian campaign and their paint jobs matches the garish colors on your fabric piece. My best guess is still the Albatross D.III, though.
    The Eastern Front: Italy
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi!
    Thanks to all reply!! I also guess is an Albatros...
    I just Made some close up of the piece...is heavy fabric and also "greasy" at touch
    The color starts to fade and is passed also to the back..is a mix of green and blue with
    the other markings...one is clearly a "3" and the other is an "arrow" in black and yellow

Hope can be usefull
    I'm very curious...

Thanks again
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markings   ww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markings  

ww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markings   ww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markings  

ww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markings   ww1 Austrian fighter fabric with markings