Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 AIRCRAFT IN COLOUR-Many unseen before photo's.

Article about: by Scout Excellent. Really liked the pic of the Saunders Roe SR A1. Not a plane you see every day!!! Monty with a belt around his smock. Couldnt be bothered to zip it, lazy git!! ; - ) Hi Sc

Default WW2 AIRCRAFT IN COLOUR-Many unseen before photo's.

Hi Guys,

In all the years I have had an interest in aircraft of all types, I have never seen as many superb colour photo's as these here. Many are previously unpublished, all are interesting and some so evocative that they could have been taken yesterday!

There are literally hundreds of them, so get a brew, sit back, open the link then expand the page to full and just let the years roll back.....Marvellous!!

Aircraft of the R.A.F. and S.A.A.F. during World War II in Colour

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 05-08-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Linky no worky.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: WW2 AIRCRAFT IN COLOUR-Many unseen before photo's.

Fabulous! Friday night will be a glass of wine and an aviation slide show !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Just "wasted" half an hour at work looking through some of these. Absolutely superb.....the quality of some of the images is quite astounding...

One picture was of a Lancaster "Admiral Prune" - was that Guy Gibson's aircraft?

Quote by harry211 View Post
    Just "wasted" half an hour at work looking through some of these. Absolutely superb.....the quality of some of the images is quite astounding...

One picture was of a Lancaster "Admiral Prune" - was that Guy Gibson's aircraft?
    Hi H,

Guy Gibson flew this Lancaster B Mk I (W4118) when he was commanding officer of No. 106 Squadron based at Syerston. After leaving the squadron he became the CO of newly-created 617 Squadron. The rest is, as they say, history......

Here's some more info courtesy of 'The Lancaster Archive.'

QUOTE:
    W4118 was delivered to 106 squadron (ZN.Y) on 6 August 1942.

17 October 1942. Flown by Wing/Co G.P.Gibson during the daylight attack on the power station at Montchanin.

22/23 October 1942. Flown by Wing/Co G.P.Gibson on a raid to Genoa.

18/19 November 1942. Flown by Wing/Co G.P.Gibson on a raid to Turin.

4/5 February 1943. Flown by Sgt D.L.Thompson RCAF. Crashed due to both port engines failing, outbound, on a raid to Turin.

W4118
    Lancaster Mk.I
    Known Op's: 33

Production: Part of the third production batch of 455 aircraft ordered from A.V.Roe & Co. Ltd., as part of Contract No. B69274/40 (as extended) under Works No. 7671. 207 aircraft delivered with Merlin XX or XXII engines W4102-W4140, W4154-W4201, W4230-W4279, W4301-W4340 and W4355-W4394; 248 aircraft cancelled W4385-W4400, W4414-W4463, W4481-W4524, W4537-W4586, W4600-W4641 and W4655-W4700. Deliveries commenced 7-42, completed 11-42; average rate of production 13 aircraft per week.

Service: 106 Sqn del'd 6-8-42 ZN-Y

Failed to Return 4,5-02-1943 attacking Turin, crashing at Valsonne, France

crew: Sgt. D.L. Thompson, RCAF pow; Sgt. N.B. Johnstone +; Sgt. F.L. Darlington, RCAF +; P/O G.R. Powell +; Sgt. P. Ward pow; Sgt. W.E. Baker +; Sgt. R.P. Sutton pow; Sgt. J. Picken pow

Notes:
    Take off 1810 Syerston. Part of a force of 188 aircraft - 77 Lancasters, 55 Halifaxes, 50 Stirlings, 6 Wellingtons, tasked to attack Turin. 156 returning crews reported attacking the target and local reports confirm serious and widespread damage was suffered. 3 aircraft, 1.60 percent of the force were lost - 3 Lancasters. During the out bound flight both port engines failed and the pilot was forced to crash-land the aircraft on a hillside at Valsonne (Rhone), approximately 30 km's NW of Lyon, France. Those of the crew that died were initially buried in the New Communal Cemetery (la Guillotiere), Lyon; but have since been relocated to the French National Cemetery (la Doua), Lyon. At the time of its loss the aircraft had accumulated a total of 340 hours on its airframe. END QUOTE.

Hope this is of interest to you Harry.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 AIRCRAFT IN COLOUR-Many unseen before photo's.  
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

It's a bit of a misnomer, there are plenty of RN, RCAF and RAAF aircraft too. Fantastic collection though. Saw it listed on another forum. Some are familiar but many I've never seen before.

Quote by noelh View Post
    It's a bit of a misnomer, there are plenty of RN, RCAF and RAAF aircraft too. Fantastic collection though. Saw it listed on another forum. Some are familiar but many I've never seen before.
    Correct. There are French, Belgian and Dutch aircraft as well, but that's the way the linky was named by the guy who originally put it up.

Regards, Ned.

?

Yes indeed a fantastic collection in one spot. I would buy the book of those photos. Also noted I think are several pictures of the rare pink PR Spitfires. There's even some military vehicles.

?

Excellent.

Really liked the pic of the Saunders Roe SR A1. Not a plane you see every day!!!

Monty with a belt around his smock. Couldnt be bothered to zip it, lazy git!! ; - )

Beautiful photos - Great link, Ned - Thanks.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Brilliant, didn't get very far in so I'll take a proper look later, I think I will draw a few of these pictures they are great. I particularly like the one of Monty in the Denison smock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast