Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Zero that Changed the War "Akutan Zero"

Article about: by zwerge Nice post,here`s a book on it that I purchased years ago in Hawaii. Yeah it is a great book!!!!! It explains everything!! You may also look at The Forgotten War volume 1-3 by Stan

?

Default Re: The Zero that Changed the War "Akutan Zero"

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Nice post,here`s a book on it that I purchased years ago in Hawaii.
    Yeah it is a great book!!!!! It explains everything!! You may also look at The Forgotten War volume 1-3 by Stan Cohen and The Great Book of World War 2 Airplanes.

?

To those who have expressed their thanks, you are very welcome, I remember learning about this when I was 8 years old and I have loved it ever since if you all get a chance some day, go to Anchorage AK and stop by the Alaska Aviation Museum

AKbear, nice to see the museum is still around...when I visited back in 96-97, it was kinda shabby. I was stationed in Fort Rich and involved in aviation archaeology since the late 70s. Danny

?

Quote by ssg keay View Post
    AKbear, nice to see the museum is still around...when I visited back in 96-97, it was kinda shabby. I was stationed in Fort Rich and involved in aviation archaeology since the late 70s. Danny
    Yeah I totally remember when it was a shack!!! Now it has 3 hangers and many different planes. Hey when you at Fort. Richardson, did you ever go up to Summit Site, the old Nike missile site? And If you ever want to talk about Aviation archaeology, drop me a email, especially in Alaska

smz
    ?

Looks like he drowned, poor guy.

Quote by smz View Post
    Looks like he drowned, poor guy.
    I doubt there was a post mortem, but supposedly he had broken his neck when the Zero flipped over on the tundra.

?

I knew about all this but hadn't seen any photos- very interesting so thanks for posting This is one of those incredibly pivotal moments we can look at and say, THAT'S one single event that influenced the whole war.... kind of amazing when you think about it.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

great post AKbear, never knew about that, I was wondering how the tail section didn't snap off, until you described the ground condition, if the Japanese had only put a little armor around the cockpit & put in the rubber fuel bladders, well who knows how it would have changed the pacific war, but I guess it would have made the zero a little slower. I really wish I could get to Alaska some day, also Would love to go to the Island up there, that we had a battle with the Japanese with. I saw that on the military channel, but my memory is gone, but the story revolved around a former concentration camp escapee, he wanted to go to the European theater & fight the Germans, but ended up in the Pacific, but he fought with honor. thanks again for the story & pic's.

?

How many of you know that the Chinese recovered two forced landed Zeroes on 26 November 1941 and rebuilt and flew one of them,V-172 tail marking. I could start a thread on it if there is any interest.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    How many of you know that the Chinese recovered two forced landed Zeroes on 26 November 1941 and rebuilt and flew one of them,V-172 tail marking. I could start a thread on it if there is any interest.
    yeah I remeber something about that, but I thought they only got one, guess I was wrong. it's strange how some weird things happened during that war that completely changed the outcome.I wouldn't mind if you wrote about it & get the facts straight for me, a person like me , well I like to learn things, because soon all the vets from the war will not be around anymore. I used to ask my grandfather questions all the time. the other one never made it home, all I have from him is a navy pic & his peacoat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12