Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Allegemeines Sturmabzeichen Fake ???

Article about: This is my first ASA and i want to hear your opinions about it. Original or Fake?

Default Allegemeines Sturmabzeichen Fake ???

This is my first ASA and i want to hear your opinions about it. Original or Fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allegemeines Sturmabzeichen Fake ???
    P
    Many

It looks like a copy to me but I'm no expert on these.

Welcome to the forum Nico.

The badge is an interesting piece in that it's a difficult maker to find. It's a Franke & Co. type 1.22.1 hollow zinc badge, but i'm not sure that it's genuine. The art deco style head of the eagle is the defining pointer to this maker, but the poor overall detail on the obverse, the lack of the line that indicates the mouth on the beak, the missing eyebrow, the lack of cross hatching on the acorn cups the general rather gritty, pitted overall appearance and soft finish all worry me. The finish is also by far the brightest i've ever seen on an FCL badge of any kind. The reverse side isn't bad, but again, the round baseplate on the the catch looks too large and out of place.

I've yet to see a surefire fake of this type before though, so i'll reserve my judgment and wait to see what others more au fait with these Ground Assault Badges think, but as it stands, I have serious reservations i'm afraid.

Here's a couple of genuine FCL badges to compare the points i've highlighted. Note that one appears to have a round baseplate as well, but it's a lot less obtrusive if it's really there or just a blob of solder. The other could be similar or directly soldered on to the badge.

Sorry I can't be more precise!

Regards, Ned.

Allegemeines Sturmabzeichen Fake ???Allegemeines Sturmabzeichen Fake ???Allegemeines Sturmabzeichen Fake ???Allegemeines Sturmabzeichen Fake ???
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

it looks like its been sand blasted serverly then polished hence the lack of detail.I will sit on the fence with Ned.

I'm with Ned on this one. For me the wings look wrong. Stewy

you joining us on the fence Stewy ?. lol

No. For me it's a fake. Stewy

Hi, personally I think it is a fake mainly because the round catch plate is so large it can be seen from the front of the badge over hanging border! I doubt any manufacturer would have allowed their award to leave the factory looking that shabby. Leon.

The two side on shots of the reverse are the giveaway. Look at the so called stamping of the wings. Very poor & undetailed, even with straight on pics that Ned showed you can see the wing detail is clearer. For me the badge that started this thread is a spun cast fake. Sorry, Stewy

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, personally I think it is a fake mainly because the round catch plate is so large it can be seen from the front of the badge over hanging border! I doubt any manufacturer would have allowed their award to leave the factory looking that shabby. Leon.
    You'd be suprised, some of the mid to late war PAB's i've seen are a fecking disgrace.

The late war R.R.S. with split head looks like the monster off 'Alien' and the final type 'E' Schuarte & Hohfeld hollow tombak badges where the die has failed to cut out the excess material are awful, and you can only feel sorry for the guy who went through all that fighting to be given something that looked like it came out of a Chinese made Christmas Cracker.

Still don't like the FCL Assault Badge, but can I find a proven fake one?

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast