Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac

Article about: I have been trying to find a match to this assault badge but been having no success. I feel the badge is real, hardware looks ok. What I see is a shallow stamped badge with really no detail

Default Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac

I have been trying to find a match to this assault badge but been having no success. I feel the badge is real, hardware looks ok. What I see is a shallow stamped badge with really no detail on the back. Could this be a not often seen variant.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac   Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac  

Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac   Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac  

Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac   Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac  

Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Could you provide a straight on photo of the front. And a close up of the eagles head. Thanks
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I added 3 pics of eagle head for a closer look

MAP
    ?

I will look this evening when I get home. But from my cell phone. I don't think this is tombak. Looks zinc to me.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

I really don't know. There is just so much going on with this award. It is so difficult to tell given its condition. And....I've never seen one like this before.

And to be transparent (not beating you up), but with a "non-one look" award like this much higher quality photos that are clear and crisp without shadows are needed (at least for me).

That said, I will stick my neck out. I will hazard a first guess (and you can all shoot me for being stupid if I'm wrong) that this looks like a Karneth hollow GAB based on similarities in the wreath and eagle head. The cut outs, in looking at it from the reverse, is also close but given the angle of the photo it is impossible to be sure.

Now...there is a host of things to question on this example. First the rear catch is wrong, second there are a few "flaws" on the front ( note the gash/dent in the left swastika leg and the flaw on the bottom of the right wing (2nd feather from the right at the bottom).

But most obviously is this very odd reverse. The only thing I can say is that according to Franks book he says in regards to the reverse "examples vary considerably, and in rare cases, are found with the excess metal filling almost the entire reverse."

So is this one of these? Maybe... but beyond me to call. Someone who has seen one can hopefully chime in. I can not confirm if it is good or bad.

Regards,

Michael

Micheal you could very well be onto something. I thoroughly searched as well and found nothing conclusive. IMO this is a late war zinc badge with a different reverse set up than the manufacturer would of typically used. I found a similar previous thread discussion of a meybauer badge where Ned cites the use of different reverse set ups and numerous variants all from meybauer. I assume this badge may fall under the same peramiters as necessity/availability at the time dictated what hardware was used in production. So for me anyway the answer will be the obverse characteristics of the badge and as you said the better the pictures the easier it will be to determine the answer of maker. Best regards

Brian

Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked TombacAllgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked TombacAllgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac

Meybauer badge and Ned's observations, plausable for the OP badge?

Just curious, does anyone see any impression of the swastika on the reverse of the Meybauer?
    If it were a Meybauer, the long hinge, semi hollow type should have a rectangular catch plate and no impression of the swastika.
    The short hinge variant should be hollow and either bunt metal or zinc and should have a cut out swastika.
    The one originally posted does not resemble any known semi hollow GAB that I can find.
    Fake, IMO.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Brian thanks for your research on badge. From your pictures the Meyauer badge is the closest match so far. I am attaching some additional pics of badge. Still hit or miss on my pics have not found ideal lighting set up yet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac   Allgemeines Strumabzeichen Silver Hollow Unmarked Tombac  

Thanks Michael for your research info. Looking to be an unusual badge, I probably would have passed on it if I would have known that the back of medal was lacking much detail. I added a couple of more pics that look better.

John

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Just curious, does anyone see any impression of the swastika on the reverse of the Meybauer?
    If it were a Meybauer, the long hinge, semi hollow type should have a rectangular catch plate and no impression of the swastika.
    The short hinge variant should be hollow and either bunt metal or zinc and should have a cut out swastika.
    The one originally posted does not resemble any known semi hollow GAB that I can find.
    Fake, IMO.
    Ralph.
    Quote by War Medals View Post
    Brian thanks for your research on badge. From your pictures the Meyauer badge is the closest match so far. I am attaching some additional pics of badge. Still hit or miss on my pics have not found ideal lighting set up yet.
    I do not think Brian is saying this is a Meybauer. What he is saying is that expedience was used late war for different hardware set up based on other threads.

The obverse and reverse cutouts of this award is IMHO quite different than Meybauers. Just look at the shape of the grenade head. Especially from the reverse.

Ralph: I'm not comfortable either. Or shall I say, I'm not comfortable making a call but I do think it a Karneth design. The hinge (from what I can see, is also similar to this version of the Karneth.

WarMedals: Just a tip. When taking photos. Take them DIRECTLY over the badge. Straight on. Not at an angle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast