Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 25 Advice

Article about: I need some help with these badges. As far as I know these were either produced by Rudolf Karneth or JFS and in zinc. I want to know if there are any variants made in other materials. If not

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 25 Advice

I need some help with these badges. As far as I know these were either produced by Rudolf Karneth or JFS and in zinc.
    I want to know if there are any variants made in other materials. If not which maker had a bit of higher quality. Thanks for any info in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 25 Advice
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Sorry Chris, wish I knew enough about these to help you out. In reading through "The Awards of Heer" (which is not dedicated to this badge and probably not a definitive source), I could not find a reference of different types of metals used to make them.

The book however does list 3 known makers: Juncker, JFS and Brehmer. I see no reference to Karneth.

Hopefully someone will be around to help a bit more.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for the info. I decided to go for an RK to match my other GABs (they did make them) I really wish the were in tombak.

MAP
    ?

I love Tombak too!

Hopefully others can help out a bit more!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Chrisk.. Pictures would help... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Here is the one I'm think about buying.

MAP
    ?

You have high end taste Chris. Good move! Will let others confirm the authenticity.

I have moved this thread to the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Forum as it really does not belong in Discussions.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hi Chris,

There were 3 manufacturers of the grade II and III GAB, JFS, RK and the much rarer Juncker (a completely different rivetted design). Regarding the identical design and set up of the more common JFS and RK badges, they are so similar it's likely there was co-operation between these two Gablonz based makers during the awards gestation and initial die making and early production at least.

By the time these numbered badges were instituted in 1943, tombak/buntmetall was a long forgotten memory as far as mainstream production went, but some of the badges made by JFS can be found with tombak pins but the majority are magnetic, as are all pins found on RK produced badges. The catches on both makers badges are always found in tombak.

The only real difference between the two makers badges is the finish, the actual design of the badge and it's hardware should be constant and there's no room for any variation during the entire production time whatsoever, if any is seen that's a massive red flag as far as originality is concerned. Going back to the respective finishes, JFS badges have a dark, stone grey finish to the eagle and a very resilient, fairly smooth bright silver finish to the wreath that has lasted well over the years in many cases. The RK silver finish is very distinctive, being slightly gritty and resembling 'champagne bubbles' in nearly all cases. Often this finish doesn't retain it's 'sparkle' as well as JFS badges. The eagle on these is a lighter grey compared to those on the JFS awards.

To surmise on the question of which makers badge was of better quality only really boils down to the condition of the finish. Both types can be found in near mint condition, but on the whole I guess JFS badges seem to hold their finishes better when looked at in the broader perspective. This can be demonstrated by looking at the gilding on their very rare higher grade IV GAB's (75 and 100) that can often be found with a good amount of gold left on the wreath compared to the Juncker made ones (RK didn't produce grade IV's). I hope this helps!

For reference; but really just because I'm a crashing bore, here's my RK 50, the photo's being taken during my psychedelic period.

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 25 AdviceAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen 25 Advice

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you for the info, I learned a lot of new things this morning!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast