MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50

Article about: Hello, whats your opinion to this AS 50? I think it's a fake, but I want to hear an experts opinion too. It had been sold for 1.295€, here is the auction link: https://www.hood.de/auktionsde

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50

Hello,

whats your opinion to this AS 50? I think it's a fake, but I want to hear an experts opinion too. It had been sold for 1.295€, here is the auction link: https://www.hood.de/auktionsdetails....ionID=53617022

I want to know because I want to learn to spot a fake Sturmabzeichen, even if it's normaly not my collecting area.

Thanks and best regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50   Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50
    P
    Many

Hi Landser,

Someone's been stiffed, they should have come here first. It's pertaining to be a Juncker GAB 50, but the problem they have when copying these is that the badge always ends up undersize due to the casting process and is a giveaway when measured.

To try to get over this fact they normally make the number box bigger, and this is easily noticeable if you turn the badge over and note the deeper, thicker "step" to the box compared to an original example. I've highlighted the above badge against a genuine one as a demonstration of what I mean here:

The Fake.

The genuine badge.

Of course there are a fair few other details that give it away, the rivets are another one, but this is the easiest at-a-glance confirmation 9 times out of 10, but the bad guys are getting better......

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

1,295€?? Wow....high price for cheap scrap metal...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I feel so bad for people getting scammed like this. Yes they should do their homework or visit sites like ours etc but still, nobody deserves to get reamed to such an extent.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I feel so bad for people getting scammed like this. Yes they should do their homework or visit sites like ours etc but still, nobody deserves to get reamed to such an extent.
    Hi Glenn,

It's is and always has been par for the course in this hobby, for all but the very earliest collectors of WW2 millitaria, especially TR items, and even back then over 60 odd years ago they were getting caught out sometimes. You wouldn't buy a car in the dark or rain, so why buy these expensive items without vetting them first?

Your right, nobody deserves getting "reamed", but to be a serious collector you owe yourself a duty of care before splashing out on such expensive items without attempting to learn to study each prospective item before purchasing them. If for whatever reasons you don't have time or are unsure, then walk away as there will always be others. But then some folks think they're getting a bargain, or are convinced it's genuine without really knowing the anatomy of the piece, and so end up being bit.

In this internet age there's no excuse for not being able to find the required information with a little searching, it's not rocket science it's due diligence. Unfortunately this has been and still is a step too far for some collectors. Well, in that case they need to make sure there's some form of returns policy and keep their fingers crossed. But at the end of the day in this game, knowledge is power and power is everything when it comes to making the right choices, end of. This is not a rant, just an observation from a fellow addict!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Couldn't agree more Ned! I guess I just feel compassion even for poor schmucks when they suffer that gut-wrenching moment when the penny drops and they go 'oh $hit...'

It's my benevolent and charitable nature you see...

Many thanks to this informative posts! I hope I will never buy again such a nut...

Regards

This club is invaluable to us collectors. Again, Ned has hit it on the head. Very useful information on the Assault Badge