Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen - Good or Bad?

Article about: Hello dear friends, Annoyed from this ads?   Please help me. Is this badge original or fake? Any information about this badge? Thank you.

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen - Good or Bad?

Hello dear friends,
    Please help me. Is this badge original or fake? Any information about this badge? Thank you.

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen - Good or Bad? Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen - Good or Bad?
    Last edited by rbminis; 09-20-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen - Good or Bad?
    P
    Many

The hardware looks good but something about the eagle looks off to me.
    Wait for other opinions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi,

It'a an original zinc flatback General Assault Badge, one of the biggest made, that's known as the type 1.28.1 which was until very recently classified as an unknown maker. I t has since been proven that the actual manufacturer was Alois Rettenmaier of Schwab Gmund. This is a particularly nice one, with all of it's finish intact, a high quality finish that's endured.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    The hardware looks good but something about the eagle looks off to me.
    Wait for other opinions.
    Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

It's right to be wary of this badge, it's very well faked. But there are signs that when seen you can tell the difference. Without being specific, these include the grenade handle, the acorns on part of the wreath, the catch and the reverse finish. One of them even fooled Frank Heuekemes when he included a fake one of these then 'unknown maker' badges in his GAB book back in 2005.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi,

It has since been proven that the actual manufacturer was Alois Rettenmaier of Schwab Gmund.
    Regards, Ned.
    I guess that explains the odd looking eagle!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I guess that explains the odd looking eagle!
    Ralph.
    The badge was actually often referred to as "The Smirker" or "The Joker" by collectors because of the strange look on it's face.....Or should that be beak?

a nice one,and thanks Ned for the info.

Ned's spot on as usual. These Rettenmaier ASA's hold their finish well. I've got one myself in top condition. Stewy

Thank you guyz especially to Ned. Really helps me. Thank you

A nice looking award and great information from our encyclopaedia Nedannica! Leon.