Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen hollow backed, is it original?

Article about: i would say this is right but always nice to get a 2nd opinion

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen hollow backed, is it original?

i would say this is right but always nice to get a 2nd opinion

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen hollow backed,  is it original?Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen hollow backed,  is it original?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen hollow backed,  is it original?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Always smart to get a second opinion. But I would like to hear what you like about this award?

Would love to hear your views as to what is good and / or bad

I have my opinions but will wait to hear yours. Thanks!

If you don't have specific reasons why you like it that's OK too. Just tell us what you do like. It's just important to study in order to learn. And so much more satisfying

In the meantime, can you take/get a clear close up photo of the hinge from a few angles (side, front and back with the pin up). As well as the catch
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

i dont own it i am thinking of buying it so dont have any more pics. i totally agree with the need to study. I Would say the overall level of detail is consistant with originals, the dull zinc colour appears genuine, correct narrow pin and hinge BUT just noticed the catch seems to be soldered in a strange position, right on the edge. Would love to hear your opinion and get the feeling it may be different.

MAP
    ?

Thanks. There are dozens of reverse hardware types used by original manufactures. Thus it is important to take clear photos from the right angle.

Especially so in this case. IMHO the award is a Frank & Reif 1.5.2. But it could also be a BH Mayer. They both used the same (or similar dies). The difference being the reverse hardware. And what would have helped is better photos of the hinge.

Luckily for you, F&R used this exact catch (set high no less), where I think Mayer used a round wire catch.

While important to look at the whole package (condition, base metal, etc), what you really need to do is to look at the small details. Only then can you really state why you are comfortable.

Trust me. It's daunting but it is fun. I myself have a long way to go myself.

many thx for the info, very helpfull. Do you recommend any books on Heer badges, i have the Sascha books Heer vol 1 and 2 but they are only a brief overview of each badge, his KM books are great with all variations covered, i need one for the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen for sure

MAP
    ?

Frank Huekemes book A Definitive Guide to German Awards of WW2 Vol 1 is the best book on GABs. It's not perfect with some errors but is is an excellent resource. It is out of print so you will have to buy it second hand. Webers book on IAB's is excellent and Philippe DeBocks book on PABs is THE book. But also out of print. New copies can be found easily but at a cost

Books get you part of the way but forums have the newest information and together they are a perfect compliment

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

ok copy that

This is a Schickle design so I would say it is likely a B.H. Mayer.
    I'm pretty sure that F&R only made a semi hollow GAB.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    This is a Schickle design so I would say it is likely a B.H. Mayer.
    I'm pretty sure that F&R only made a semi hollow GAB.
    Ralph.
    Better photos of the hinge will help. But I don't think BH Mayer used a catch like this. Only F&R.

I'm basing this off of Frank's book. So I could be mistaken if there is other info out there.

As far as I can tell, the OP's is a match for the F&R but happy to be wrong. Then again....I was so focused on the hinge/catch I might not have noticed it was a semi hollow....LoL...wouldn't that be a faux pas. I will have to check when I'm home.

Either way the award looks original

MAP
    ?

I took a second look. Again, I could be wrong but to me I still think it could be an F&R. The hinge appears to be long and taper slightly versus the BH Mayer hinge which angles in much more severely below the hinge pin.

Also the flat catch is an exact match for the example of the 1.5.2 in Heukemes book.

That said, here is a BH Mayer example according to Ned. It does have the flat catch but the hinge appears to be more sharply angled in.

Allgemeines sturmabzeichen, Schickle or Mayer?

Either way. It is not too important IMHO.

Here is a close up shot of the OP's hinge.

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen hollow backed,  is it original?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast