Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen hymmen and co.

Article about: Yes this badge has snapped, and was glued back together, but it was free. Can anyone help I'd this maker. I was thinking tombak hymmen & co. Because of the shape of leaves. The odd thing

?

No I glued it back together. It was in a princess Mary tin I bought at auction with some cloth badges. This badge was'nt in the images or description(description was just tin of military badges). I recognised it straight away and glue it back together. Maybe it can be professionally done at some point. I have also noticed a die flaw in couple of these, hymmen specimens. It is only viewable from the edge of the badge, on the right side second leaf first indent.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen hymmen and co.
    P
    Many

?

It makes sense in combat...

MAP
    ?

Been looking at this on my PC for a bit. Very interesting. No answer as to what it is, why it was put on there or by whom. Always possible it was done by a soldier to make the award less noticeable in combat. But I've never heard of this being done before and no way to prove it unless other examples can be found (or period photos).

I don't think this is CupAl. This break is clean, similar to what I would expect of zinc which is brittle. CupAl which has a copper layer I think would bend and twist a bit before it broke. Plus the ~14 grams you note are right in line with stamped zinc versions of GABs.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by lammy View Post
    It makes sense in combat...
    On the reverse?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I don't think this is CupAl. This break is clean, similar to what I would expect of zinc which is brittle. CupAl which has a copper layer I think would bend and twist a bit before it broke. Plus the ~14 grams you note are right in line with stamped zinc versions of GABs.
    I agree, as I said in post #11.

It does not have the correct catch for a buntmetal Hymmen, but it does have the correct catch for a zinc variant.
    As stated by Philippe DeBock, "Most likely one of the lowest quality GAB's ever made, the fragile hollow zinc Hymmen."
    Likely the reason they went to the semi hollow variant.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    On the reverse?

I agree, as I said in post #11.

It does not have the correct catch for a buntmetal Hymmen, but it does have the correct catch for a zinc variant.
    As stated by Philippe DeBock, "Most likely one of the lowest quality GAB's ever made, the fragile hollow zinc Hymmen."
    Likely the reason they went to the semi hollow variant.
    Ralph.
    Yes. Agree with your post #11. Just further supporting your comments by highlighting that zinc "snaps" and CupAl "bends".

Now as to why it was painted like this...(i.e. not near the catch and hinge)......This theory is TOTAL speculation but if you think about it, how would someone hold the award while they were applying this paint/mixture. If it was me, I would have pinched it between my thumb and finger by grabbing the catch and hinge block in one hand and used the paint brush with the other hand.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Now as to why it was painted like this...(i.e. not near the catch and hinge)......This theory is TOTAL speculation but if you think about it, how would someone hold the award while they were applying this paint/mixture. If it was me, I would have pinched it between my thumb and finger by grabbing the catch and hinge block in one hand and used the paint brush with the other hand.
    Why even paint the reverse though?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Why even paint the reverse though?
    Ralph.
    No idea. But what ever the reason (extra time? Bored? OCD, or some of the paint on the front dripped onto the back and he didn't like the look... ) I was just highlighting "potentially" why those other areas around the hinge and catch were not painted.

We still don't know when it was done. I'm not saying it was wartime or not. But I could potentially see why it might have been done war time. It just concerns me, because as far as I'm aware, I have never seen this done before.

?

Yes you are probably correct about it being zinc. But it's to shiny to be pure zinc.

?

A few badges here Awards Third Reich
    Seem to have this coating. Maybe its slag residue, that's not been removed.

?

And here Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Hohlpragung | Archiv | Trave Militaria - Orden und Ehrenzeichen is what looks like another, it's that green/grey colour

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast