MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Mayer?

Article about: Hi Again i need your help.Is this Mayer tombak badge? Best regards,Bojan

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Mayer or Shickle?

Hi

Again i need your help.Is this Mayer or Shickle tombak badge?

Best regards,Bojan

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Mayer?Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Mayer?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Mayer?
    P
    Many

It's an original badge, but not manufactured by B.H. Mayer, but by Otto Schickle. Mayer bought up the remaining Schickle stock after that company closed in June 1941. These badges were then stamped L/18 on the pin to identify them as Mayer, but they were only distributed by them, not produced. L/18 stamped ones are relatively scarce compared to the early Schickle pieces, but are otherwise identical.

Regards, Ned.

EDIT: I see you have modified your post to now include the Schickle reference that was not originally there....Fair do's.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree with my mate Ned, he's spot on. Stewy

Ned,thanks for quick answer and explanation.Now i know something new.

Best regards,Bojan

Quote by rutarjan View Post
    Ned,thanks for quick answer and explanation.Now i know something new.

Best regards,Bojan
    No problem, it's an interesting badge, the finish is rather unusual for a tombak piece and from the rear side looks more like zinc, which is rather unusual in itself.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

So,then its not tombak badge?

I think from looking at the reverse it may well be an early zinc badge by Schickle which means it was made prior to June 1941, and that's early enough to make it rather unusual and probably rare as well. I'm wondering if the worn areas aren't tombak peeking through but a coating applied to the zinc to help the top finish to adhere better as is seen with many early zinc badges before material restrictions started to bite.

This is just my thoughts on the badge, You could try weighing it, an approximate guide for these is around 14g for tombak and zincers are usually heavier at around 19-20g.

Regards, Ned.

Ned,if you had a chance,will you buy it,or will you wait for another one?

Co-incidentally, when I first looked at the pics before Ned made his comment above my first impression was that it looks more like zinc than tombak but I just decided it must be the images

Nice badge in any case

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Ned,if you had a chance,will you buy it,or will you wait for another one?
    It's an interesting and unusual badge. I could be tempted, especially if I had the option to return it. It's worth getting in my opinion.

Regards, Ned.