Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen for opinions

Article about: The following GAB images were sent to me in an email today and it will be for sale soon. A fellow GAB enthusiast is puzzled by it and with me not knowing a decent GAB from a turnip I thought

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen for opinions

The following GAB images were sent to me in an email today and it will be for sale soon.

A fellow GAB enthusiast is puzzled by it and with me not knowing a decent GAB from a turnip I thought I'd stick it in here and see what happens.

It is supposedly zinc construction and has a strange hardware setup. Additionally it is stamped '21'.

Here you go

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen for opinions
    P
    Many

Well this is a VERY strange one L/21 is for Forster & Bath, 21 is for Godet, and Godet did not make GAB's. It looks too crude with soft details and the placement of the hinge in totally the wrong place. I would avoid it like the plague........................ But hey.you never know

I do agree with John that this is likely not a good piece though the pics are really quite poor and so do us no favours. I think it is trying to be a Souval massive type and the hardware configuration is correct for that as is the apparent design. However, as John says the detail looks crude and "soft" where as albeit the Souval badge was made of low grade zinc the definition tended to be on the better side.
    One thing is certain though, that 21 mark is spurious. As stated L/21 would indicate Foerster & Barth but this is not from that stable. 21 would indicate Godet but again, as stated not a runner but apart from these points that numeral box is just weird and the font is simply not like anything I have ever seen on an original piece. Even given that the pics are poor I don't think clearer images would make it look any better.

I certainly would not entertain this one and even if by some shock revelation we are wrong you can always pick up a really nice example by shopping around because this is not a rare award in the grand scheme of TR collecting.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-14-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Greetings gents

Thank you for your input.

I was interested in finding out as 1 it looked different and 2 the obvious query regarding the '21'

Cheers

Jamie