Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen review

Article about: Hí Guys Just arrived this is a unmarked GAB and I would like to show to you I not collect these type badge but IMO this is good condition What do you think about it ?

Looking good! A close up pic of the badges edge or rim may show the 'sandwich' effect of the copper laid on the aluminium. Normally this is only on the one side, so, top copper, bottom aluminium.

Here's an example of what I mean on an Assman cupal PAB edge shot.

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen review

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen review
    P
    Many

Quote by Eisernes Kreuz 2 View Post
    Hí Jody
    Thank the lot of comment IMO this is the badge material "Ned is right " Cupal not coated with copper over the zinc
    here is the near picture the
    I think where ,here can be seen the material
    this is not a repainted badge
    I don't think Jody is suggesting this badge is "repainted" rather he refers to the manufacturing process of coating the zinc with a layer of copper before the silver finish which was done by some makers to improve the durability of the finish. It was not done by all makers on all badges presumably because of cost and length of production time.

Here is an example from my collection, a "half moon" type showing similar signs of the copper undercoat but to a greater degree.

As Ned says, a picture of the edge of the badge will likely reveal whether this is cupal or just copper coated.

Regards

Mark
    PS yours is a beauty by the way

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen reviewAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen review

Looking at this one again, we know that the badge is by the unknown maker #7 or the type 1.24. series. This manufacturer only produced 3 known types of GAB, a hollow zinc, a solid zinc and a solid cupal one. There is no evidence I can find that either the hollow or solid zinc type were ever given a copper undercoat layer to aid the adhesion and longevity of the silver finish. Indeed, a quick look around the net shows that the finish on the zinc badges is nearly always lost or at best, dull and subdued by time, whereas the solid cupal type is often near mint with a bright silver finish and a copper base showing through on the high points due to wear.

These signs, along with the others I previously mentioned regarding the edge burr and 'wrinkling' of the badge on it's reverse make me pretty certain it's a cupal piece and NOT zinc. I hope Sanya can confirm this by examining the badge's edge and perhaps photographing it for us all to see.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree with Ned

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I don't think Jody is suggesting this badge is "repainted" rather he refers to the manufacturing process of coating the zinc with a layer of copper before the silver finish which was done by some makers to improve the durability of the finish. It was not done by all makers on all badges presumably because of cost and length of production time.

Here is an example from my collection, a "half moon" type showing similar signs of the copper undercoat but to a greater degree.

As Ned says, a picture of the edge of the badge will likely reveal whether this is cupal or just copper coated.

Regards

Mark
    PS yours is a beauty by the way

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen reviewAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen review
    Nice badge Mark!

Here's my example of the same Half Moon type, a fairly recent pick up:

'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.

Regards, Ned

Thanks Ned, I do like this variant as they seem to be of good quality and to survive quite well.
    At the risk of going slightly off topic here is another of the same type with the variant hinge block but one that does not show any copper;
    Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen reviewAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen reviewAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen review

Now, back to the point, @ Sanya, let us see the edge of your badge so we can tell what it is!

Regards

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2