Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.

Article about: Hi Guys, Here's a recent pick up I thought i'd show. It's an Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen by an unknown maker and is classified as either the 'Type 6' or 1.29.1 depending on which index you us

Default 'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.

Hi Guys,

Here's a recent pick up I thought i'd show. It's an Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen by an unknown maker and is classified as either the 'Type 6' or 1.29.1 depending on which index you use. The badge is extremely well made, being solid Feinzink that's copper coated and then silver plated. This finish often endures well, and some excellent ones can be found with most or all of their finish left.

The hinge is another sign of it's quality, it's a massive one that's not folded sheet metal, but made from solid white metal, the hole for the pin is unusual, having been drilled through rather than being formed from the two halves of sheet metal as seen on fabricated hinges. Another sign of the manufacture quality is the securing pin that goes through the hinge. The ends are carefully peined over to a domed finish rather than just being snipped off with pliers as most other ones are. The hinge sits on a large 'half moon' plate that is unique, and gives the badge it's nickname, carefully cut and rounded to stay within the boundaries of the wreath and then silver soldered on. The roundwire catch is a very tight fit for the pin, being formed to allow the pin to close and remain secure without opening accidently. This is soldered onto a small circular plate.

This is a great example of the type, not particularly rare, but all the same a quality example of the badge makers art where everything was thought out carefully with an eye to producing a 1st class piece that any soldier would be proud to wear.

Regards, Ned.

'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB. 'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB. 'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.
    'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB. 'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB. 'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.
    P
    Many

A very nice original Ned, I've got one posted here somewhere I think. Congrats, Stewy

thats very nice Ned.

Nice one Ned, a real beauty. I personally have not seen one of these variants before so thanks for showing it. Leon.

Yep, I agree with Stewy. A nice example of the "Half Moon" type.

Like many TR badges this type comes in variant forms. Some with the copper coat under the finish and some without and there are variations in finish too. There is a recognised sub-type which is based on the thickness of the solid hinge block.

Here are a couple of mine for comparison;

'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.'Half Moon' Hinge Plate Solid Zinc GAB.

I hope this is helpful

Regards

Mark
    PS Yours is the thin one

Thanks for the kind words guys.

And thanks Mark for showing your small block version. I am aware of it and a couple of other variants with tall sheet metal wraparound catches, one has a small lip either side to improve the solder fixing, and the other is simply a straight edge fit. Both these types utilise a quadratic baseplate for the catch.

Regards Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A very nice example Ned!
    Congrats!
    Even though I only have a couple of GAB's I have thought about picking one of these up before.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph,

It'a a nice badge to keep your eye out for, the quality combined with an often good to excellent finish give it an edge over many other zinc GAB's and they are affordable.

Regards, Ned.