Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1700's item dugup...

Article about: Have just been digging all day today, found a load of boots and shoes but pulled out this really heavy metallic thing, at first I thought it was a rifle mount for walls but it says on the to

Default 1700's item dugup...

Have just been digging all day today, found a load of boots and shoes but pulled out this really heavy metallic thing, at first I thought it was a rifle mount for walls but it says on the top "kenrick and sons LTD" and other words say something like patent and the bottom bottom bit says something like "to run five feet" When searching on net it says kenrick and sons was an ironworks factory company (that still exists today) founded in late 1700's O_O I cant find any info or pics of the thing ive found though (ignore the rainbow pics if you can see them didnt mean to upload those -.-)

1700's item dugup...1700's item dugup...1700's item dugup...1700's item dugup...1700's item dugup...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1700's item dugup...   1700's item dugup...  

Default Re: 1700's item dugup...

It would seem that the item was originally bolted onto a wooden structure of some sort (that has since rotted away), judging by the three bolts and nuts - and the length of thread from bolt head to nut gives some idea of the thickness of the missing timber... From which metal is the object made? It looks a bit like bronze in your pics. It looks like part of a farming implement - like a plough, but I would contact Kenrick and Sons to shed some light on the mystery...

Another thought...part of a gun carriage?
    Last edited by ricvee2005; 07-10-2012 at 11:03 AM.

what about a bracket for mounting a wheel to something, gun carriage etc.

Hi Kradspam! It looks like we are on the same wavelength!!

mpw
    ?

I think the use of Ltd was being used by companies during the 19th century. The nuts and bolts certainly look from that period. My guess is also agricultural and it looks like the item was bolted to wood and used for holding something, a pole perhaps?

The piece of hardware that Brattacus has found is actually a horseshoe flat track bracket for a sliding (barn) door(max. closure 5'). There is a chance it could also have come from the door(s) of railway rolling stock. It would have run on one or two tracked wheels.

Regards,Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned has nailed it.

PG

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    The piece of hardware that Brattacus has found is actually a horseshoe flat track bracket for a sliding (barn) door(max. closure 5'). There is a chance it could also have come from the door(s) of railway rolling stock. It would have run on one or two tracked wheels.

Regards,Ned.
    Damn your smart Ned

There's plenty of 'em about if your looking!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

You definitely have it! When new, it would probably have looked a bit like this :
    Attachment 369329