Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

20mm Projectile... Opinions...

Article about: Here's what made my heart skip a few beats today: I was cleaning up in my "war room" and I went through some of my older finds(Junk etc) and found one with finds from 2-3 years ago

Default 20mm Projectile... Opinions...

Here's what made my heart skip a few beats today:

I was cleaning up in my "war room" and I went through some of my older finds(Junk etc) and found one with finds from 2-3 years ago when I was looking for the remains of a German fighter. These finds were from my first days of hunting, I searched about 50-60 meters from the actual crash site, I found nails and other rusty shit. And just when I am about to throw out something that looks like a very rusty nail, I see that it is possible to pick off the rust, so I do that(The earth there is very wet and the finds get very thick layers of rust, this one was about 2-3 times the size)... And then I notice what it is... A 20mm projectile...

I decide not to take any chances, I took a few pictures of it and then put it in my garage.

I will probably deliver it to the police in the morning, but I am wondering is if there is any explosives/silly stuff inside the projectile, or if it is just solid?

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: 20mm Projectile... Opinions...

Hi Vegar, in that condition it's hard to say if it's live or not. I'd play it safe and turn it in. Even a 20MM could ruin your day rather quickly.

Thanks

Burt

I just turned it in at my local police station no less than 15 minutes ago. Best not to take any chances, pretty amazing that it was launched from it's shell 50-60 meters away from the crash site. I was sure it was a very rusty nail, but it was so full of rust and I had found all sorts of rusty junk down there, it would have been pretty much impossible to identify it back when I found it. That just shows that you can never be too careful.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

There was no way to tell, in this condition. Couldn't see the nose cap for the rust. Good that you turned it in-you never know.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."