Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A 3,7 inch A/A GUN in a Military Surplus Yard

Article about: JOHN Iv got time to look at them if you hava the time to post them. Mate I never get tierd of your posts, I've subsribed to everything you put up so keep it coming And thank you for doing al

?

Default A 3,7 inch A/A GUN in a Military Surplus Yard

The finding of a rare WW2 3,7 inch Anti Aircraft Heavy Gun , a few years ago in a Military Surplus Yard of Athens Greece area, remain still an unsolved mystery..! According to the available records , the Hellenic ( Greek) Armed Forces were never supplied or used these type of AA artillery type during, or after WW2. But a small number of these guns , arrived in Crete on early 1941, and used by the British Heavy AA artillery batteries for the defence of the island during the German invasion of May 1941. Of course a few of these pieces were captured there...
    As you can see in the photos , the gun condition is rather poor and visible were several camo painting flaked layers of a rather “curious” pattern. Also no data plate were available on.
    Perhaps it may be a single survived example from the captured British guns after the Battle of Crete, but any relevant info from the fellow readers would be most welcome.
    John

A  3,7 inch  A/A GUN  in a Military Surplus YardA  3,7 inch  A/A GUN  in a Military Surplus YardA  3,7 inch  A/A GUN  in a Military Surplus YardA  3,7 inch  A/A GUN  in a Military Surplus YardA  3,7 inch  A/A GUN  in a Military Surplus YardA  3,7 inch  A/A GUN  in a Military Surplus YardA  3,7 inch  A/A GUN  in a Military Surplus YardA  3,7 inch  A/A GUN  in a Military Surplus Yard

Default Re: A 3,7 inch A/A GUN in a Military Surplus Yard

Very interesting!...

Is she still there or has the HAFM got their hands on her and put her in storage ??

?

Quote by kiwiwreckdiver View Post
    Is she still there or has the HAFM got their hands on her and put her in storage ??
    Well, the HAFM as and many other state controlled museums in Europe, generaly are preffering this kind of items "for free" !!
    By the way, this mil surplus yard is private and the owner were asking several thousands of euros for this gun (mainly because it's carrier under the breech was made from solid brass )...
    So i ...sniffed and kiss it good bye !

John

have come across a few things from time to time like this , like a WW2 TBF Avenger that some crazy old guy had in his back yard in New zealand. he just wants it to rott away, not worried at all about watching history fade away before his eyes.
    Oh well if I win Lotto , I'll give you a call, we can go half's.
    Another great post John

- - Updated - -

Oh was there ay other things of interst in this yard ??

?

Quote by kiwiwreckdiver View Post
    have come across a few things from time to time like this , like a WW2 TBF Avenger that some crazy old guy had in his back yard in New zealand. he just wants it to rott away, not worried at all about watching history fade away before his eyes.
    Oh was there ay other things of interst in this yard ??
    Hi there my "kiwi" friend.
    Yes i know what you mean .. Me too, during the many years of searches here i met a lot of half crazy, curious and full of suspicions people !
    One of the more particular such behaviour, i faced when i found in Rhodes (1989), five tail horizontal stabilizers structures of Savoia Marchetti 81 trimotor bombers, placed from the post war period as ....fence around a farm house ! I tryied to persuade an old woman who was living there, to let me recover or to sell me at least one of these uniq relics , but with out success !
    More about this story in the near future relevant thread posting , along with photos...
    Yes, in this (but and others mil surplus yards), there was a lot of other interesting things..
    My question is how many such photos do you like to see...?
    John

Is the breech present?

That is a great find in a scappies, I'd love to buy that and stick it in my garden, very cool.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Is the breech present?
    Yes it is . I am not quite sure if it is complete, but it is a side sliding breech.
    See also the photos no 5 and 6.
    John

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    That is a great find in a scappies, I'd love to buy that and stick it in my garden, very cool.
    Me too , Jerry !!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast