Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

U-534

Article about: Here is some pictures of the recovered U-boat 534

?

Smile Re: U-534

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Does anyone know how I can verify a U-boat scuttling in the Caribbean off the coast of Mexico? I saw an outline of what appeared to be a sub on the Chinchorro coral banks 23 years ago and was told by the local lobster divers that it was a German sub scuttled in 1945. I was a bit wary of the story, but would love to know if it is true or not. If it is true, I doubt much is left as divers have been taking items from this reef for decades including Spanish cannon from galleons as this reef has been the site of wrecks for centuries. There is little depth inside the atoll, so it any wrecks are accessible to even novice divers. I have a wreck just off my beach in the Mayan coast of a Danish freighter since 1949. The first time I saw her, I was able to board her as more than half was above the surface and could still open hatches. At this point, there is only some rusted metal above the water line as salt and hurricanes have destroyed most of the remaining wreck. If anyone knows a source for locating lost u-boots or if there is a list of those lost or scuttled in the Caribbean, I would greatly appreciate it if you could inform me.

There is a central registry for U-boats in Germany.This won't be much help, but
    I read a book titled "Shadow Divers" that tells about the efforts and deaths of a group of divers trying to identify a U-boat off the coast of New Jersey (USA). It was a complete unknown up until that time. The book gives the details of those contacted in Germany. Wish I could be of more help.

?

Default Re: U-534

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Does anyone know how I can verify a U-boat scuttling in the Caribbean off the coast of Mexico? I saw an outline of what appeared to be a sub on the Chinchorro coral banks 23 years ago and was told by the local lobster divers that it was a German sub scuttled in 1945. I was a bit wary of the story, but would love to know if it is true or not. If it is true, I doubt much is left as divers have been taking items from this reef for decades including Spanish cannon from galleons as this reef has been the site of wrecks for centuries. There is little depth inside the atoll, so it any wrecks are accessible to even novice divers. I have a wreck just off my beach in the Mayan coast of a Danish freighter since 1949. The first time I saw her, I was able to board her as more than half was above the surface and could still open hatches. At this point, there is only some rusted metal above the water line as salt and hurricanes have destroyed most of the remaining wreck. If anyone knows a source for locating lost u-boots or if there is a list of those lost or scuttled in the Caribbean, I would greatly appreciate it if you could inform me.
    Try this:
    uboat.net - The U-boat War in Maps - The Caribbean Sea

of course there are rumors of the USS Dorado (SS-248) ending up off of Mexico, but these have never been confirmed.

I am pleseantly surprised at the ending of the cutting up of this submarine, having heard of it at the time and feared the worst. I had feared it would be simply exposed to the elements and left to rust away as a 'junk display", more or less. Hopefully, the interior sections were pressure tested and are air tight, or they will continue to corrode. More restoration of atleast removing the interior rust would have been desiriable (IMHO). Of course we would all love to see her restored, this seems to be about the best outcome one could reasonably hope for.

kerker21
    ?

here she is now in a purpose made exhibit at the birkenhead mersey ferry landing stage

U-505. I remember many many years ago,visiting this submarine and taking the tour. I was fascinated by it,as they had retained all of the personal crew items and had them still in the lockers with plexiglass shields over them. I remember they had both white and blue visored hats and even packages of German cigarettes still sitting there,just like someone had walked away and left them. It was interesting to see all the coats and boots and such still laying about in the lockers-you could even look through the periscope and swing it around and see the outside parking lot, although you weren't allowed to torpedo the museum... Many years later, I went back to see it again with a younger family member and was dismayed to see all of these items were gone! When I asked some one at the museum what had happened, I was told the strange story that the surviving crew members had come to see their old ship on some sort of nostalgic reunion trip or something that was supposed to have been in the news at the time and had, apparently, been allowed to take their items home. I didn't know if I could quite believe the story(and still don't know!) but it did make sense, I guess. I was also disappointed to see that they no longer offered to sell anchor chain links in the museum gift shop. You had been able to buy either a full link or a Half link for what I had considered at the time a silly amount of money.(It was something like 14 or 15 bucks for a full link,as I recall). I ended up buying a felt pennant,I remember....it was only a couple dollars.
    Now, from reading this thread, apparently there are, once again, items inside the sub. Were they put there by the museum? Replicas? Genuine? Who knows? All I know, is it's definitely not like it was when I first saw it. But then again,what(or who) Is? William

Thankfully I went in this UBoat before they cut her into pieces!!

The tour was amazing I will never forget it

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The last photo of the engine room. is that facing the kitchen and quarters or the Battery/electric motor room?

im not sure if anyone is interested, but i found a new game for PC called "Silent Hunter 5, Battle of the atlantic". its a facinating sim/game where unlike the previous silent hunters, you can actualy walk around in the entire submarine, even close water tight doors and hatches, discuss menus with the cook, or solve problems which then men have, while sailing around in either the medeteranian, English coast or the Atlantic, hunting convoys etc. what i found most interesting is you can actualy watch the crew reloading the torpedos and fixing leaks etc. you get a real atmoshpere as if you were actualy there. and as the war progresses, so does your equipment and boat. I added some photos if anyone wants to see.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-534   U-534  

U-534   U-534  

U-534   U-534  

nice photos

?

Quote by Berthier92 View Post
    im not sure if anyone is interested, but i found a new game for PC called "Silent Hunter 5, Battle of the atlantic". its a facinating sim/game where unlike the previous silent hunters, you can actualy walk around in the entire submarine, even close water tight doors and hatches, discuss menus with the cook, or solve problems which then men have, while sailing around in either the medeteranian, English coast or the Atlantic, hunting convoys etc. what i found most interesting is you can actualy watch the crew reloading the torpedos and fixing leaks etc. you get a real atmoshpere as if you were actualy there. and as the war progresses, so does your equipment and boat. I added some photos if anyone wants to see.
    cool! had no idea they came out with 5.. my last patrol was in 3 before 4 came out. no interest in the pacific subs so i stopped.. might have to pick this up again

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast