Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A39 Tortoise

Article about: Nice one! Well done Guys This is going to be a bugger to remove! I suspect that is why it is still there? It is well worth saving. Although it might never have seen combat it is a very inter

Talking A39 Tortoise

Hello all
    Few years ago (2006) I was training in Kirkcudbright Training Area which as most of you will know at one time contained the Dundrennan Range complex....now i was only there to do pre-deployment trg but noticed some odd older AFV's on the ranges...I am 90% sure one was a "A39 Tortoise", on the range nearest to the sea, other AFV's were a couple of Comets and at least three Cromwells

I wish I had taken the time to take pictures now...

Has anyone else seen this huge Vehicle ?

Regards

Aye

TN

p.s i dont recommend heading to see it as it is still an active Trg Area , and a fair amount of DU shells were fired at these AFV's
    and not to forget the MOD Police would get a big bit upset

Default Re: A39 Tortoise

I was there last year and didnt notice any AFV's on the training area over the two days we were there pretending to be the enemy, you should check google earth because the Alvis Saracen wrecks at MOD Barry Buddon can be seen pretty clearly. And i can confirm with TN that the area is dangerous, there was a s******d of risk assessments that had to be filled out for us, and they werent the normal stupid ones which I'm used to, so I wouldnt go near the AFV's if they are still there.

Thanks

Danny

Hi Danny

Yes i've seen the Saracen's at Barry Heat range and the few old one plus ferrets at Garlochead....even had fun of hitting they with Charlie G's and 94's over the years.

Pity the old hulks have been removed, were you down at the "Cliff ranges" that where they were?

Maybe beacause of the DU they have been moved...

Next thingi want to find out is where they got moved to...dont think they would be scrapped..so maybe shifted to another training area...The hunt begins

Quote by Tartan-ninja View Post
    Hi Danny

Yes i've seen the Saracen's at Barry Heat range and the few old one plus ferrets at Garlochead....even had fun of hitting they with Charlie G's and 94's over the years.

Pity the old hulks have been removed, were you down at the "Cliff ranges" that where they were?

Maybe beacause of the DU they have been moved...

Next thingi want to find out is where they got moved to...dont think they would be scrapped..so maybe shifted to another training area...The hunt begins
    Theres actually only one Saracen left at buddon, the best one was removed and pieces of another had been removed so I think someones managed to somehow convince the MOD to let one go for restoration.

I think it was the "cliff ranges" we were at, well I know that it was an anti tank range but I cant remember any cliffs . However the weather was crap and visibilty was even worse so I could have easily missed them, once I get my laptop back I'll check google earth to see if I can make out some large dark squares on the ground.

Thanks

Danny

if you were right at the waters edge then it was....the AFV's were on the skyline except the A39 which was off to the left in a valley the roads was terrible and my rover had a lot of work getting near the Comet i had to hoof it to it....

Googles no use mate....the area is obscured...no suprise there then a "Private firm" has a place there you would have passed it on the main road of the training area.

I take it you ACF or CCF ?

pity to hear the old Saracen has gone..the ones at Garelochead are still there was up there in an Exercise Recce last week...They pulled an old Churchhill out of Barry Ridge 15 years aog and a FT17 near the old WWI Trench Training are before Barry South...

Quote by Tartan-ninja View Post
    if you were right at the waters edge then it was....the AFV's were on the skyline except the A39 which was off to the left in a valley the roads was terrible and my rover had a lot of work getting near the Comet i had to hoof it to it....

Googles no use mate....the area is obscured...no suprise there then a "Private firm" has a place there you would have passed it on the main road of the training area.

I take it you ACF or CCF ?

pity to hear the old Saracen has gone..the ones at Garelochead are still there was up there in an Exercise Recce last week...They pulled an old Churchhill out of Barry Ridge 15 years aog and a FT17 near the old WWI Trench Training are before Barry South...
    Yeah, thats where we were, I just remember that that the minibuses we had were completey useless in that kind of terrain. I still recall seeing any AFV's though but if I'm ever back there again I'll take another look and bring my camera just incase
    And I'm in the ACF, i dont think the private school guys get used by the army like us during exercises

Thanks

Danny

I would love to be proved wrong on this, but they only ever made 6 examples of Tortoise. I think only two (?) survive at best in Museum/collections? There is certainly one at the Tank Museum. I do have a good comprehensive magazine article on this tank, in the late lamented "Wheels & Tranks" magazine, but not to hand.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I would love to be proved wrong on this, but they only ever made 6 examples of Tortoise. I think only two (?) survive at best in Museum/collections? There is certainly one at the Tank Museum. I do have a good comprehensive magazine article on this tank, in the late lamented "Wheels & Tranks" magazine, but not to hand.

Cheers, Ade.

It would be great if TN is right about this because the chances of me not spotting it were quite high so lets hope that it is still there and that I just missed it

Thanks

Danny

hi fella's
    There's an article on the tortoise in the latest issue of classic military vehicle magazine you might find interesting.
    I'll speak to some people i know and see if i can't track that tortoise down for you,but i would ask you for a favour I've been interested in the armour on kirkcudbright since i heard of the comet wreck up there and until you mentioned it i hadn't realised there was more than one and not only that but a few cromwell's, definately worth a visit but i've got a feeling access would be a problem with all that uranium lying about.( maybe i should go at night and look for the glowing targets.) only trouble is i've no idea where the targets are located,could you give me the google earth location or a map ref or anything like that.
    thanks and all the best for the new year.
    eddy

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    hi fella's
    There's an article on the tortoise in the latest issue of classic military vehicle magazine you might find interesting.
    I'll speak to some people i know and see if i can't track that tortoise down for you,but i would ask you for a favour I've been interested in the armour on kirkcudbright since i heard of the comet wreck up there and until you mentioned it i hadn't realised there was more than one and not only that but a few cromwell's, definately worth a visit but i've got a feeling access would be a problem with all that uranium lying about.( maybe i should go at night and look for the glowing targets.) only trouble is i've no idea where the targets are located,could you give me the google earth location or a map ref or anything like that.
    thanks and all the best for the new year.
    eddy

I was wondering how long it would take you to find this thread

It wouldnt be a good idea to go anywhere near the AFV's due to where they are located (anti tank range) and going at night is completely out of the question because you wouldnt be able to see anything and might step on something by accident, nothing is worth getting blown up for.

And I've got a map of the area, but I only have roads, buildings, etc marked out on it. Just wait because if I'm ever on exercise in the area again I'll have a look for you, and I wont end up in trouble because I would have the clearance to do so.

Thanks

Danny

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast