Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Again from the Spitfire crash site

Article about: On the first picture do my eyes deceive or is that a pear-shaped indentation? If so it could be the modification that was done to accommodate the tail-wheel.

?

Default Again from the Spitfire crash site

Here are a selection of part more important from the Spitfire crash site. Some idea about unknow part? Thanks. I have identified aircraft and his pilot. As soon is possible I'll post a report about him.

Parte of fuselage with number of aircraft. Where is allocate?

Detail

Part of wing with a fragment of flag

Other part of flag

Small part to identify

Part of gum to identify

Part to identify

Part of plastic glass cupule

Part of wood air-screw

Part of .303 machine gun with other part to identify

Small doors and some part to identify

Tools used from people that cut the aircraft after crash

Small parts to identify

Part in gum and plastic

Fuzes

Part with writings

Plates

Button and cover button

Unknow part

Oil pump?

Detail with n. 01995

yanks12025
    ?

Default Re: Again from the Spitfire crash site

Any of the pieces for sale. And i did not know they had american parts on them. Thanks

Brindlereo
    ?

All you need now is a big tube of glue and you could put that thing back together

Quote by Brindlereo View Post
    All you need now is a big tube of glue and you could put that thing back together

Superb relics mate... well done!

?

Quote by yanks12025 View Post
    Any of the pieces for sale. And i did not know they had american parts on them. Thanks
    Sorry but nothing for sale. Just all for our museum.
    British aircraft in Italy often have USA radio.

?

Hello Matteo, you really are finding some stuff there! Picture 5 is item 73 in the scan, a harness release lever so the pilot could lean forward in the cockpit. Your button cover is item 47. The long unknown piece is the slot the canopy slides in. Keep digging and posting!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Again from the Spitfire crash site   Again from the Spitfire crash site  

Very interesting stuff! The pump you are looking at is a water pump. Are you sure it's from a Spitfire? The wood airscrew looks more like from a Harvard. By the time Spits were in Italy they were all using metal props. But the rest of the items are very cool indeed! I also wonder if you may not be digging up multiple airframes.

Cheers
    Gary

?

Hello Gary (astonishing selection of bits in the other thread!) I think all of Matteo's pieces are Spitfire. Very early (Battle of Britain era) Spits had aluminium blades made by DeHavilland. Later marks had wooden laminate blades by Dowty Rotol. The labels are also umistakably British and other identifiable pieces, although difficult to dig out pictures of, are a pneumatic connection to a .303 browning, a brass slider off the canopy, an elevator or rudder trim tab frame and lots of round engine cowling faster surrounds with alignment marks on them. Over on the Flypast forum a Very knowledgable expert has suggested:

'I would say JF879 from the stencil spacing, plus the flaked paint leaving a witness mark on the base metal on the '8', similar to the missing paint on the down stroke of the '7'.
    601 Squadron loss 2 April 1944. Operating out of Marcianise (about one third up the west side of the Italian 'boot')'
    Does this agree with your details, Matteo?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info on the prop manufacture. I thought they had all changed to full metal props by then. A good friend of mine (Chuck) informs me that the radio Crystal Unit is for either the reciever or transmitter of a SCR-522/TR-1143 which is a US made but modified for the British aircraft radio.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by ian_ View Post
    Hello Gary (astonishing selection of bits in the other thread!) I think all of Matteo's pieces are Spitfire. Very early (Battle of Britain era) Spits had aluminium blades made by DeHavilland. Later marks had wooden laminate blades by Dowty Rotol. The labels are also umistakably British and other identifiable pieces, although difficult to dig out pictures of, are a pneumatic connection to a .303 browning, a brass slider off the canopy, an elevator or rudder trim tab frame and lots of round engine cowling faster surrounds with alignment marks on them. Over on the Flypast forum a Very knowledgable expert has suggested:

'I would say JF879 from the stencil spacing, plus the flaked paint leaving a witness mark on the base metal on the '8', similar to the missing paint on the down stroke of the '7'.
    601 Squadron loss 2 April 1944. Operating out of Marcianise (about one third up the west side of the Italian 'boot')'
    Does this agree with your details, Matteo?

sopysnipe01
    ?

I think they might be Hurricane, I believe that HA stamped on the plates, is Hawker.
    Bob T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast