Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Aircraft wreckage

Article about: I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out with an ID on this thing I found on a remote moor in northern England. It looks to me to be possibly an oil cooler from an aircraft, but

northerner
    ?

Default Aircraft wreckage

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out with an ID on this thing I found on a remote moor in northern England. It looks to me to be possibly an oil cooler from an aircraft, but no idea what type. There is a lot of other debris scattered around, but this was the only thing with any marks on it. I will take it back to where I found it over the weekend and photograph some of the other stuff, but in the meantime any help would be appreciated.

Its 24cm x 28cm x 11cm in size. There is no record of a WWII crash at this location, at least anything that I can find. The landowner doesn't want a big fuss but is happy for me to try to get an ID and if it is unrecorded, will give permission for a proper licence to be requested and an investigation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircraft wreckage   Aircraft wreckage  

Default Re: Aircraft wreckage

I'm not too sure of the laws regarding crash sites, however I believe that they are protected by law and are not to be disturbed, for example digging, removing debris etc. You have to remember that peoples bodies may have been recovered from the sire you've found pieces.

Good luck finding out the information about it though, just stay on the right side of the law

Thanks

Danny

northerner
    ?

Thanks Danny, but I'm aware of the laws, and being very careful not to fall foul of them. I only took this one piece away to get a photo, and will replace it this weekend. I'm certainly not going to start excavating! (or reveal the location).

I'm motivated by the possibility that this is an unrecorded site and the debris has been revealed due to the long dry spell we've had. It may well be that there are unrecovered bodies somewhere. If that's the case, I would like to think that I could put the wheels in motion to have them removed and properly dealt with.

The best bet in the future would be to just take your camera with you on your next visit incase you get caught out removing objects just to photograph them at home.

It could possibly be a civilian crash site too, but the chances are that its already been investigated and known because whoever the aircraft belonged to they would have went looking for it, unless this wreckage is in a highly remote, concealed and difficult to get to location? But just keep that to yourself

Thanks

Danny

?

Definately aircraft, almost certainly British by the style of label and probably something small/ single engined. It could be a pre war biplane. Intesting stuff. Get some photos of the wreckage on site!

?

That must be a oil cooler, exactly. Probably the piece of Hurricane?
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Can you type out EXACTLY what numbers and references are on the data plate and what numbers/letters are stamped elsewhere.

It's a bit difficult to read them from the photograph but I'm sure the info you need is on there.

?

It looks very simular to a Spitfire XI Radiator

It looks too small for a spitfire or hurricane oil cooler or rad. Any chance of some measurements?

You have one of coolest aircraft museums of the planet on your island - ever considered contacting them?