Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any other wreck and relic scuba divers out there ??

Article about: Hello New to the Forum but what Iv seen so far i'm very impressed I've been nuts of WW2 history since as long as I can remember and even more hooked on diving and flying since early teens. t

Default Any other wreck and relic scuba divers out there ??

Hello New to the Forum but what Iv seen so far i'm very impressed
    I've been nuts of WW2 history since as long as I can remember and even more hooked on diving and flying since early teens.
    these days my main hobbies is combining the lot, Diving, WW2 History, WW2 Aviation and Wreck and relic hunting.
    Originally from New Zealand but currently based in Stavanger Norway.

Any other wreck and relic scuba divers out there ??Any other wreck and relic scuba divers out there ??Any other wreck and relic scuba divers out there ??Any other wreck and relic scuba divers out there ??I have a every growing collection of aircraft parts including 2 Ex RNZAF T-6 Harvards that I pulled out of a scrap yard when I was 14.
    Working on Cockpit displays of Ex RNZAF P40N Kittyhawk, F4U-1 Corsair and P51 Mustang and many other bits and bobs
    Also sine being in Norway im starting to gain a bit of WW2 German Hardware (will post pics soon)

I have travelled all over Europe, Asia and Australasian looking for relics for WW2 and new dive spots and dive buddies (very rarely encountering anyone with the same interest as mine)
    This Forum should be the kind of contacts i'm after
    ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE ??

Default Re: Any other wreck and relic scuba divers out there ??

Yepp, but from Norway, Tromso "Tirpitz" and other WW2 wreck diver!

?

Hi Kiwiwreckdiver,
    Just see my relevant post for the Gotha 242 in the Aegean.
    Cheers,

John

Polar Kuste
    Wow the tirpitz (whats left of her) has to be great muck dive, has anyone made a mud map of what left down there ??
    How far down the super structure did they scrap her ??
    Ive seen greats pics from up your way of complete He111 sitting upside down and also herd of very complete Uboat up there.
    What else aircraft wise do you know of ??

No-one have ever made a map of what's left out there...But it's about 12 000 tons of things from the skip around in the mud and spread on the sand bottom. I dont know how much super structure they left, hard too say
    Yes, i have some dive's on the HE111, and U-711 in Kilboten, Harstad. It lays on the seabottom from 53-56m!

And the shipwrek you are sitting on, i think i have about 6 dive's on!

got to old,no breathe.

Whats the wreck your sitting on?
    Buy a strong magnet and let it fall down in the water beside the ship and see what you can bring up from the bottom

I dived this year before last in Crete like yourself my other hobby is diving

diving adventure, Messerschmitt BF 109 crashed 1945, Crete - YouTube

cheers Ronnie

?

I've dived the Baygitano in Lyme Bay of the Dorset coast. An easy dive in relatively shallow water. Pick a good day you can see a long way, I sat on the bottom in 21m and could still see the surface. No mean feat in U.K. waters. Get it wrong and your visibility is only a few metres at best.

She is mainly flat now with just a section of the bow standing about 6m above the seabed and the boilers in her mid section the highest points.

The Baygitano, was build in South Shields in 1905 and was christened the Cayo Gitano. Just before World War I, the ship was sold to the Bay Steamship Company of London and they renamed her the Baygitano. The ship, a 3073-ton schooner-rigged steamer, was one of the many collier ships running between Wales and France, supplying French factories with Welsh coal.

Captain Arthur Murrison was ordered to return to Cardiff from Le Have on the 18th March 1918. A run he had done nearly weekly during the war. The Captain joined the Channel Convey and upon reaching the British Coast, started to hug the coast using a zigzag course – the standard method to avoid German U-boats as they don’t like the shallows.

However, the UC-77 commanded by Oberleutnant Johannes Ries was hiding in the shallows and saw the Baygitano through the mist. At 11:45, a single torpedo from the UC-77 blew a large hole into the Baygitano’s No. 4 hold. The order was given to abandon ship and only 2 of the 37 crew perished, one of the engine-room engineer and the First Mate.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any other wreck and relic scuba divers out there ??  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast