Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

bf109 - footage of plane recovered from lake after WWII landing on the ice.

Article about: Supposedly the plane of a pilot 'Widowitz.' Note commentaries - supposedly plane still retains remnants of desert camo under the last applied Eastern Front camo paint (I cant vouch for that

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Weltkriegsopfer.de | Kriegstote/r: Wulf-Dietrich Widowitz
    He was flying a Gotha GO 145 when he died!.....
    Excellent work Gunny!

I wonder if he was involved in what is described here? It's all rather interesting, a bit like the German equivalent of the Russian's 'Night Witches' squadrons, only they were all female pilots!

"By 1942, the Russians began using obsolete aircraft such as the Polikarpov Po-2 to conduct night harassment missions against the Germans. Noting the success of the raids, the Germans began conducting their own night harassment missions with obsolete aircraft on the Eastern Front. In December 1942, the first Störkampfstaffel (harassment squadron) was established and equipped with Gotha Go 145 and Arado Ar 66. The night harassment units were successful and by October 1943 there were six night harassment squadrons equipped with Gotha Go 145."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GO145_3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	565647

Courtesy of Wiki.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Excellent work Gunny!

I wonder if he was involved in what is described here? It's all rather interesting.

"By 1942, the Russians began using obsolete aircraft such as the Polikarpov Po-2 to conduct night harassment missions against the Germans. Noting the success of the raids, the Germans began conducting their own night harassment missions with obsolete aircraft on the Eastern Front. In December 1942, the first Störkampfstaffel (harassment squadron) was established and equipped with Gotha Go 145 and Arado Ar 66. The night harassment units were successful and by October 1943 there were six night harassment squadrons equipped with Gotha Go 145."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GO145_3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	565647

Courtesy of Wiki.

Regards, Ned.
    Pleased to help Ned. Very interesting bit of info there, i had no idea the Germans had their own version of the "night witches"!...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Pleased to help Ned. Very interesting bit of info there, i had no idea the Germans had their own version of the "night witches"!...
    Ha! Great minds think alike...I was just editing my post to reference them as well!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Excellent info both of ya'!
    I was just thinking, that it was a crappy plane to fly - turns out there was a reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12