Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Borrowed

Article about: From the Somme either Hamel or Beaumont Hamel. I stopped to look at a CWGC site. The track to it led past a farm. The farmer appeared to have been harvesting beet and his machinery was parke

OKW
    ?

Default Borrowed

From the Somme either Hamel or Beaumont Hamel. I stopped to look at a CWGC site. The track to it led past a farm. The farmer appeared to have been harvesting beet and his machinery was parked up having been put out of action by the attached. This was lying in the farmyard but within reach of the track. Having visited the graves on the way back to assist the farmer removing scrap from his farm i took this case with me having left 5 euros towards the cost of repairs to his kit. I felt this was sufficient recompense.
    When i got it there was chalk adherring to the outside. The machining marks were visible and it appeared to be finished in a lt grey paint. I washed the chalk off and ever since the things corroded like a British leyland car. Would the washing have set this off or could it have been protected by being buried and exposure to air set it off? I believe its a British 18lb shrapnel case, one of the many that failed to cut the wire prior to July 1st.
    The shrapnel ball was found in the field ajoining the car park of the Newfoundlanders monument. It appears to be lead, i understood British shrapnel balls were steel? If it is British its still behind British lines, result of a short or premature?
    As an aside the CWGC site had several markers with two names on them, only ones i've seen like this. Again they were stating buried close to this spot not necessarily under the marker.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Borrowed   Borrowed  

Borrowed  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.