Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!

Article about: Hello all, Thought I'd once again share the latest addition to my collection. I beleive it is from a British 6 Pounder anti-tank gun. It was found by a friend, half buried in a ditch in Norm

Default British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!

Hello all,

Thought I'd once again share the latest addition to my collection.

I beleive it is from a British 6 Pounder anti-tank gun. It was found by a friend, half buried in a ditch in Normandy.

As usual, comments are very welcome!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!   British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!  

British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!   British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!  

British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!  

Default re: British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!

Tonight I started cleaning the sight up. I went over the rusted casing with a wire brush to remove the surface rust, and I also started cleaning up the brass eye piece.

The brass is coming up quite nicely, although there's still lots of polishing to do to get it gleaming. Sadly, a lot of the black paint (where the model number and date is stamped) has started to flake away under the heavy polishing.

The inside bottom piece of the sight is covered in 65 years worth of grime, and even dead bugs, so unfortunatly you can't see through the sight properly. The only thing you can see is the cross hair. I'd love to have a go at unscrewing the end, and give it a bloody good clean, but I think I'd have major difficulties getting it back together!

Finally the rusted casing is stumping me a little. Would this have originally been painted black and smootherd in grease? I'd like to get as much rust off as possible, but I don't wanna go too far and take it back to bare steel.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Lee

Hey, I've just finished cleaning the brass on the gun sight. Its not perfect, but I doubt it can be much better!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!   British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!  

Looking good !

I wouldn't take it to bits to clean inside.......but then I prefer my relics to retain their 'relic' quality (Plus you may not get it back together again )

Steve T

ILH
    ?

gotta love this site, it's come up trumps again

just got my hands on the same- only slightly different- didn't know what it was, thanks!

markings:
    OS 1165 C.A.
    No. 51 L.C.Mk.1S
    /l\
    'C&TH' (maker's monogram)
    No.11760

will post some pics manyana.

man...I can't believe you guys just find this stuff lying around...sweet.

This week, in my back yard I found a rusty shopping cart.

circa 1987.
    no other markings.

will post pictures of me and said cart when I can.

hi fella's
    the no.39 mk11s sight is from british tanks armed with the mk3 6pdr with 7.92mm besa mg so that would be mk 6 churchill, this is the hull mounted mg sight although it does have markings for the main gun this is to allow it to be used for the main gun in emergencies. woody don't be afraid to take it apart, just remember that all the optics will have grub screws to secure them so once you've removed the grub screw the piece will unscrew and nothing will fall out inadvertently. i have the same sight although all the optics with graticules are missing.
    ILH your sight is from the 17pdr anti tank gun it has no range graticules like woody's as it was mounted on the gun which was elevated with a range drum, tanks don't have this as they need to be able to fire and aim on the move quickly.

nice finds eddy

ILH
    ?

Cheers Eddy- great info!

photos of the 17pndr version, to show how similar they are:

British 6 Pdr Gun Sight!  

hi ilh
    if you put a torch to the red dot shown on your first pic it turns the graticules red for low visibility shooting and looks pretty cool, try it

eddy

ILH
    ?

Cheers Eddy, will do that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast