Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Buried Spitfire treasure hunt

Article about: I dislike being pessimistic about a potential great find, but I fear that Ned is right. To attract investors, such project are likely to be blown out of proportions with visions of not only

Default Re: Buried Spitfire treasure hunt

Well, attempt number one is a scrubber!!!!

Dogfight begins over failure to find Burma's buried Spitfires

Will they ever be found? ........... unless you enjoy asphyxiation, don't hold your breath!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Well, attempt number one is a scrubber!!!!

Dogfight begins over failure to find Burma's buried Spitfires

Will they ever be found? ........... unless you enjoy asphyxiation, don't hold your breath!
    Cheers, Dan
    I haven't been holding mine since well before post no.2 on this thread.......Breath that is!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Regards,

Andy

Quote by aj4010 View Post

Regards,

Andy
    Yes, I've heard they fart underwater too....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I hear the team is headed to the US to find Jimmy Hoffa and open Al Capone's vault.
    Regards,
    John

The linked article shows what the absolute BEST scenario would be - this was a new 1957 Plymouth PURPOSELY entombed as a time capsule and unearthed in 2007 ( wrapped in cosmoline and a special waterproof concrete tomb .... and read about the condition they found it in 50 years later!!

buried 1957 Plymouth time capsule unveiling, 2007

IF ( as Ned says ) they actually exist and are found, those old "Spitties" are gonna be toast, man!!

Dan

?

Without wishing to detract from the thread, I'm not sure a Plymouth wrapped in plastic and encased in concrete in down town Tulsa is comparable to Spitfires wrapped in greasy paper and buried in a jungle. There are just too many different considerations to take into account.

I'm not sure but Spitfires may have been constructed from different materials? And the plastic wrapping which doesn't breathe at all would be a moisture/condensation trap before the concrete box filled with water surely?

There would also be the factors regarding acidity in the soil vs a concrete box, the moisture content able to be in contact with the metals. We can see the Plymouth spent an awful lot of time in contact with water whereas the Spitfires allegedly had the greasy paper actually stuck to them and therefore the barrier should be more effective compared to just being draped in plastic which let the water in underneath it.

It would be like finding a semi frozen tomb on the steppes of Russia against a body found in a shallow desert grave. The resulting environmental factors on both bodies would be very different.

Interesting link though.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Many differences for sure, but I guess what I was trying to do was point out a couple of the similarities...

1) the article says the car also was coated in military COSMOLINE ( like the planes would have been ) before being wrapped in plastic
    2) despite man's best efforts mother nature still encroached on the entombed object and had her effect
    3) the time-frame was similar ( 50 years underground )

That's all, not trying to compare apples with oranges ......... or alloy with steel
    Cheers, Dan

For me, when I was young, there was many beautiful stories, MP 40 in boxes in a bunker, MP 44 in a bunker in Alsace.
    I never found something, but I have souvenirs of landscapes....

?

Maybe someone will start a decent search for the hidden SS Honour Rings buried in the mountains near Wewelsburg now......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast