Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buried Spitfires in Australia

Article about: by china clipper Very cool story! Does anyone remember the cluster of P-51s the Aussies left out in the open for atomic bomb testing? Mint Mustangs basically. Surplus in that era, worth litt

?

Default Buried Spitfires in Australia

Intresting documentary being made about buried aircraft in australia

Broken Wings - Documentary film on Vimeo

Default Re: Buried Spitfires in Australia

Outstanding!!
    This is a "must see" for sure.

LOL only in Australia would somone try to steal an aircraft and succeed, only to bury it and as many as 12 at that.

Never heard of this story before, would be good if they could find them but to somwhat glorify that nothing like this has happend anywhere else in the world? the theft of 12 spitfires, this should not be glorified. Sure, find the planes, give them to one of the many great war museums here and be done with it i say.

Yes it would be quite a find and in some ways what they did (if they did) was good, saving these brand new spits from destruction.

If after all these years they havnt been found then i doupt they ever will be.

Cheers-

i will be following this with interest, after all there has to be some truth in all the 'somewhere in the bush' stories.

china clipper
    ?

Very cool story! Does anyone remember the cluster of P-51s the Aussies left out in the open for atomic bomb testing? Mint Mustangs basically. Surplus in that era, worth little as jets were the new age. Well a good number of them were recovered and restored. The arid climate left them with no damage other than minor vandalism before they were hauled off.

I remember a Fly Past magazine article about the P51s.

With new B17s being smelted back to ingots of aluminum, and fields of fighters crushed throughout Europe and Pacific, what value to you think anyone really put on some crated Spitfires back then?

This would be a great adventure and an even greater find!

Very interesting story. It looks like a quality made film. They must have a decent amount of funding to back this expedition. Time will tell.

Jay

Top story. I cant wait to find out more about this.

more more more I want more

Caffeine
    ?

Quote by china clipper View Post
    Very cool story! Does anyone remember the cluster of P-51s the Aussies left out in the open for atomic bomb testing? Mint Mustangs basically. Surplus in that era, worth little as jets were the new age. Well a good number of them were recovered and restored. The arid climate left them with no damage other than minor vandalism before they were hauled off.
    Indeed, one of them (A58-1) was fuelled up and flown out. Not bad for 12 years exposed to the elements (and a few atomic blasts)

The place was called 'Emu'

?

Yes this Story has been around a long time i will be there in a couple weeks,iam usualy at Oakey a couple of times a year with the RAAF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast