Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Crash site Baltic sea

Article about: What I find disturbing is where is the rest of it? no large castings or wing sections apparent? There are a couple of interesting items there that need further examination. On the video you

Default Re: Crash site Baltic sea

What I find disturbing is where is the rest of it? no large castings or wing sections apparent? There are a couple of interesting items there that need further examination. On the video you can see what appears to be a silvery alloy cast box if you will that looks like it has a fitting on it that is beginning to break off. Try and recover that as I am not sure if it is a radiator or oil cooler or not very hard to tell in the video. Also back to the ammo in the video, as you pan out and slightly right, theres a large casting that appears to have a curve to it. Have a closer look at that as if it does appear to be a turret part then that will positivley id that wreck for you.

The major part of the plane is under the sand.
    And to me it looks like it came to rest at the bottom upsidedown.
    Got a pic from my divebuddy of two items he picked up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crash site Baltic sea  

I hope you don't mind but i've started a thread on the FlyPast forum here:
    Halifax tailwheel - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums

Any chance you could post your video and pics there for others to see? I'm sure it will help you.

Not sure what that item on the right is but the one on the left is the faceplate for the MKIV Autopilot clutch control unit.

The feeling amongst some knowledgable people on the flypast forum is that its unlikely to be lanc and probably Halifax. There are photos of Halifaxs with the grooved anti-shimmy tailwheels.

I just saw this article in a Norwegian paper today, is it the same plane?
    Bombefly-vrak holdes hemmelig - kan gå i luften - VG Nett om Historie og arkeologi
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Quote by Collectorww2 View Post
    I just saw this article in a Norwegian paper today, is it the same plane?
    Bombefly-vrak holdes hemmelig - kan gå i luften - VG Nett om Historie og arkeologi
    fyfaen, jeg snakker ikkje norsk

Oh what the heck, I guess I can translate it for all of you:

Bomber-wreck kept secret- could blow up

Crash site Baltic sea
    STILL DANGEROUS: During World War 2, British Halifax bombers delivered tons and tons of it's deadly cargo over Germany. Now a wreck outside of the Swedish coast is causing trouble for the Swedish government. Photo: ROYAL AIR FORCE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(VG Nett) The British bomber crashed in 1943 and was found last year. Since then it has been kept secret.

The reason is that the Swedish government fear that curious divers will make the plane's deadly cargo explode. Says the Swedish free newspaper City Malmø

- The ammunition could be very dangerous, says research engineer Kjell Andersson to the newspaper

According to the newspaper, the plane was most likely a British Halifax bomber which 3 august 1943 was on a bomber raid over Germany when it was hit by lightning. After having lost 2 out of the 4 engines, the plane crashed outside Trelleborg in South-Sweden

The plane was discovered by coincidence last summer. The last half year, the government has tried to keep the plane a secret while they were waiting for the Swedish army to defuse the ammunition which is inside the wreck.

-You don't dive down and fetch these sort of things. If you move wreck parts, it might explode, says Håkan Cronholm from the Fourth Combatflotilla smokediver division

-All missions like these are dangerous. I understand that it was kept secret. He says to City Malmø.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Attached is from the City Malmø paper:
    It is the same film roll which is in the first post:

Crash site Baltic sea
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

tusen takk venn min

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast