Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Deep under the Irish sea............

Article about: by Panzer 3 Hi, Nice catch and it will make a good toolbox, No worries with the MOD, they wont want it back. you should see what we have buried in the past, you would have a shock whats on d

Default Deep under the Irish sea............

Used to live this! I live in a fishing village and a good few mates work on fishing trawlers and one phoned me yesterday to tell me he found something in the nets that I could have. This!!

Whats Harder to beleive than this being dragged up from a mile under the seabed is this, there were 27 rounds (spent) and 2 link in the bottom! Whats the chances of the tin being tumbled and rolled about in a net and still having rounds in when it got to the top AND emptied out between all the prawns lol?

Anyone got any info on these ammo tins? I guess there used for the likes of the m249?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deep under the Irish sea............   Deep under the Irish sea............  

Deep under the Irish sea............   Deep under the Irish sea............  

Deep under the Irish sea............   Deep under the Irish sea............  

Default Re: Deep under the Irish sea............

This has obviously been left on the beach of a military training area or range at somepoint in the past few years and washed out to sea. These are 7.62mm Ball Rounds, as used with the General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) The best thing to do with this item is to throw it back in the sea to avoid trouble with the MOD because its still actually their property even though it was hauled out the sea. Normally to remove this sort of thing from an area thats still covered by the By Laws on MOD property you would be breaking the law, I'm not to sure if this falls under the By Laws, but just to be safe you should get rid of it Its not worth that much either so not really a loss.

Thanks

Danny

Fair do's I know your not allowed to remove bullets from ranges but the sea is a whole differnt kettle of fish (no pun intended) theres no certain laws that cover the tide that I'm aware of (there was a court case here a while ago about an item pulled up and the outcome was if it is in the sea it has no legal owner)

And yes Ballykinlar army camp is not far from me, they use the beaches round dundrum bay for target pratice, you should hear the rattles of auto fire some nights lol

Nice catch...
    you would not want to fry some of these, with your prawns.....

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.
    A H

I was thinking that it would be different if its come out of the sea, but at the local training area camp/ranges things are always washed along the beach onto the area thats not MOD property. On a normal day you can find flares, parts of mortar rounds. Generally stuff that would get you in trouble if you cant prove you found it on the civilian part of the beach, youre ammo box and spent rounds have obviously been pulled out of the sea though. Overall its your choice but I'd personally get rid of them just to be on the safe side, and its not as if it will be a great loss because you can buy ammo boxes and inert rounds on the internet

Thanks

Danny

Hi,
    Nice catch and it will make a good toolbox, No worries with the MOD, they wont want it back. you should see what we have buried in the past, you would have a shock whats on dartmoor.
    I remember Ballykinlar base, just keep it in the shed it will come in handy. I still have an SLR ammo box for some car tools, and i left in 82,
    dave.

I remember Ballykinlar base
    Im not far from there, in fact I'm there most nights, I live in Ardglass and have a mate lives there.

I was thinking that it would be different if its come out of the sea, but at the local training area camp/ranges things are always washed along the beach onto the area thats not MOD property. On a normal day you can find flares, parts of mortar rounds. Generally stuff that would get you in trouble if you cant prove you found it on the civilian part of the beach, youre ammo box and spent rounds have obviously been pulled out of the sea though. Overall its your choice but I'd personally get rid of them just to be on the safe side, and its not as if it will be a great loss because you can buy ammo boxes and inert rounds on the internet

Thanks

Danny
    Cheers for the advice Tell you what I did have but got rid of, a live SA80 blank, don't need the trouble of that lol

ian
    ?

badcild dont worry about it even the mod police are not that pedantic and they would probably give you a lid for the ammo box if you asked in all the dealings over the years ive had with them they are probably the most sencable coppers ive ever come accross ,
    enjoy telling the storry of where it came from cheers ian

Quote by badchild View Post
    Im not far from there, in fact I'm there most nights, I live in Ardglass and have a mate lives there.

Cheers for the advice Tell you what I did have but got rid of, a live SA80 blank, don't need the trouble of that lol
    I'm just glad that I've been able to pass on some advice, just incase someone who isnt aware of the laws reads this thread Nice one getting rid of the blank though

Though a blank might seem like something small you can still get charged for removing it from MOD property and having it in your possession.

Thanks

Danny

Quote by ian View Post
    badcild dont worry about it even the mod police are not that pedantic and they would probably give you a lid for the ammo box if you asked in all the dealings over the years ive had with them they are probably the most sencable coppers ive ever come accross ,
    enjoy telling the storry of where it came from cheers ian
    Trust me Ian, not all of them are as nice as the ones that you have come accross Overall its better to be on the same side as the law than take chances

Thanks

Danny

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast