Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dornier 217 crashed in Salerno 16 sept. 1943

Article about: Here is other fragments we find in our second trip. Some idea about parts? Thanks. 1 2 Bullet's hole 3 4 Diameter 16 e 18 cm 5 6 6a 7 Magnet 3x3 cm 8 NW 20 ARGUS 9 39.831-0172A CI__ON 3115.4

?

Default Dornier 217 crashed in Salerno 16 sept. 1943

Here is a place near Salerno, south Italy, where we find a crash site of a Dornier 217. Airplane crashed in 16 september 1943. Some idea about parts and about crew of airplane? Thanks.

9 detail: Ln 27164

11 On a part: 8 Min 26511

12a

14a DORNIER 217 "Alfred Luscher, Fabrik elektrischer Accumulatoren und Apparate, Dresden"

15 13 mm

16 7,92 mm

18 Ring with Benito Mussolini

19 Two of researchers

Default Re: Dornier 217 crashed in Salerno 16 sept. 1943

Hi Matteo,

The wire mesh is actually a basket that has been flattened in the impact. It originally contained the first aid/medical kit.

The signet ring is interesting, it appears to show Mussolini's head. Was the crew Italian? I know that they flew German types during the war. Good luck with your efforts to find out more.

Ciao, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Matteo Thanks for posting, what is the wire mesh made of?, if its heavy and soft then it'll be made of lead and is from the inside of a lead acid accumulator, the most common type of battery used at that time. They're still used today most commonly as car batteries.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Matteo,

The wire mesh is actually a basket that has been flattened in the impact. It originally contained the first aid/medical kit.

The signet ring is interesting, it appears to show Mussolini's head. Was the crew Italian? I know that they flew German types during the war. Good luck with your efforts to find out more.

Ciao, Ned.
    Thanks. Do you have a photo of a wire mesh you referr in good shape?

I not think crew were italians because airplane crashed in 16 sept. 1943 when italian army retired from war.

?

Try here for German Aircraft parts serial numbers ..

Luftwaffe Flugzeuge

Gary J.

Hi Matteo..nice post...the VDM item will be something to do
    with the propellor units (luftschraube).
    VDM is the german company that manufactured them.
    Cheers Mike

Great stuff. I especially like the first photo. Very pretty country!

?

Hello Matteo, it looks like quite a walk up to that site! The only part i can identify is the the large curved steel piece R8-217-358. It is part of the mass ballance for the elevators on the tail. They are often obscured by the rudders in photographs.

Hi Matteo,

Ciao, Ned.

Hi Matteo,

Found the photo that showed the medical kit basket, haven't the ability to post it, but it don't matter, i was completely wrong, and apologise to misleading you and other members.

Too keen, too quick = lazy!!

Sorry everyone, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Matteo,

Found the photo that showed the medical kit basket, haven't the ability to post it, but it don't matter, i was completely wrong, and apologise to misleading you and other members.

Too keen, too quick = lazy!!

Sorry everyone, Ned.
    Hey...everybody makes mistakes. I have it down to a perfection. At least ya gave it a shot. Even the pro's don't always get it right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast