Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

F/S Denis Copping, Missing P-40 Pilot - Human Remains Discovered.

Article about: by bartonharley13 So I wonder if this plane can be seen on Google Earth? I know swamp ghost the B17 in Papua New Guinea was visable. Anyone know exactly where it was? I really hope that it h

Default F/S Denis Copping, Missing P-40 Pilot - Human Remains Discovered.

It has been reported that human remains have been found in the Sahara Desert 8 miles S.E. of the wreck of the recently discovered P-40 Kitttyhawk.

The remains consist of several cervical, thoracic and lumbar vertebrae, a left clavicle and a metatarsal and phalanx bones.

Also found with or near the remains are part of a torn parachute and an RAF tunic button. Searches are ongoing around and in the immediate vicinity of the remains for other items such as shoes, wristwatch, tags etc. as well as for further remains. The British Embassy in Cairo have been informed as well as the Egyptian Authorities and Copping's family.

Let us hope this will be Denis Copping, and his family have resolution and a body to bury 70 years nearly to the day when he disappeared.

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 06-27-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: F/S Denis Copping, Missing P-40 Pilot - Human Remains Discovered.

Thats really good news,

- - Updated - -

Thats really good news,

?

Thank you for posting Ned, I hope the search for further remains is carried out by people who know what they're doing as much as possible can be recovered and the persons identity can be confirmed.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Thank you for posting Ned, I hope the search for further remains is carried out by people who know what they're doing as much as possible can be recovered and the persons identity can be confirmed.
    Hi Adrian,

This hasn't hit the papers yet, I heard about it from a pal at RAF Cosford this afternoon, he had it from a friend in the know, so it's all a bit chinese whispers, but he swears the 'gen is accurate, let's wait and see.

Apparently the remains were found by an official search team of Italians who were volunteers with the official endorsment of our people, a doctor was present and I.D.'d the bones as human.

The remains were spotted at the end of the day as the sun was going down, the searchers were spread out in line when a chap saw what turned out to be the torn piece of parachute flapping in the breeze.

I can't stop thinking what a God awful way to die it must have been for this pilot, assuming of course it IS Copping, as seems likely. Time will tell hopefully, may he rest now in peace.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Keep us up to date please Mr Bond.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

http://www.qattara.it/versione%20in%...ESTO%20_1_.pdf

If you go this link there information about the expedition under taken which led to this discovery, shows just harsh the conditions were

It shows just how trashed the plane has become now as well, seeing as people are paying to go out to it

Cheers
    Tom

Wow! Thank's Tom, that sure confirms a few of the things I've heard, Let's hope it's the missing flyer. As for the state of the aircraft, well, it comes as no suprise. I highlighted it's rapidly deteriorating condition a while back on the main thread, but it is now much, much worse. Let's hope something can be saved as a lasting memorial to F/S Copping and the dozen or so others still officially listed as 'missing' from his squadron whilst in Egypt.

Regards, Ned.

An awful way to go indeed - and it's a shame the plane is being
    decimated - it should be made a memorial to the pilot.........
    Regards,

Steve.

The plane has been decimated???

Pulled apart - pieces removed by tourists and souvenir hunters.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast