MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

found churchills and m10 bulldog

Article about: I bags first ride in the drivers seat when she's rebuilt! I just love Churchill tanks, you can keep your Shermans and Tigers, give me a Churchill ANYTIME Regards etc Ian D

Default found churchills and m10 bulldog

hi everyone,as some of you know i've been looking into the possibility of recovering a tank from a lake in poland but can't do anything else until i go out there in summer.Not one to be idle i decided to have a look in the uk for ww2 armour.I started off searching the web for anti tank and artillery ranges and came up with this list if you know of anymore please let me know.salisbury plain,warcop,lulworth,castlemartin,kirkcudbright and otterburn.i decided to start with the nearest,warcop.i then went on google earth to look for likely targets and once done i set off on a sunday morning kitted out for a spot of tank hunting.Warcop is an active range but on certain days the public are allowed to use the footpaths.however i inadvertently wandered off the path and found myself on the impact area amongst the armour, i found 6 churchills and what i think is an m10(see photo's) before the range wardens chased me off.Not surprisingly the tanks were pretty shagged after being shot at for 60 years but you could probably make two cosmetic restorations from the churchills once you got them off the ranges.I'm going to otterburn range next and will let you know of any finds.all the best eddy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture found churchills and m10 bulldog   found churchills and m10 bulldog  

found churchills and m10 bulldog   found churchills and m10 bulldog  

found churchills and m10 bulldog  

?

Default Re: found churchills and m10 bulldog

Just one note here.

All of these tanks are MOD property. !

hi gary yes they are but i doubt the c.o. would have a problem with the recovery of these tanks from the range and they looked to be on an old part of the range,and as such are not still used as targets and besides tanks are always being taken off ranges for restoration,why not these.They are part of our armoured heritage,after all we did invent the things.although to be honest the absolute enormity of the task of recovering and restoring tanks didn't hit me til i saw them close up.we'll see.eddy

Wondering around on current active MOD ranges is not something the forum can be seen to encourage or condone. It is foolish and potentially very dangerous..

If you want to do this correctly, you first write to the authorities concerned telling them of your interest. This is the correct way of doing things.

Cheers, Ade.

I doubt the c.o. would have a problem with the recovery of these tanks.... They are part of our armoured heritage,after all we did invent the things.
    Wrong, they are M.O.D property mate, not anyones who fancies a tank in their garden!

A friendly warning!..... I was fined £200 on the spot for trespassing on MOD property during a fishing trip a number of years ago!!! Its now £500...

The designated paths are there for a reason, generally ranges such as this contain the possibility of having unexploded ordanance just under the surface of the ground. Hence the strict rules surrounding such areas, I'm not trying to get on at you for straying off the paths, but the MOD have been known to close areas completely to the public when people start wandering around in potentially dangerous areas. Also dont be tempted to take a piece off of one of these tanks even if its nothing more than a piece of metal, as some of the other members of this site said, they are MOD property and its classed as theft if you remove any item from the training area even ifs harmless.
    Thanks

Danny

?

Some good advice here Gentlemen
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

fair enough fella's,in my defence i would like to add that i am experienced in these things.i spent 14 years in the army training on these areas i'm not some civvy having a go at it.i am the first to admit its not the ideal approach however,and i will contact the range wardens at otterburn.nobody knows the ranges better than the crusty old wardens.just one more note there is very little danger on an impact area unless you start messing with live ordnance something i would never do,i went to observe and record with a view to setting up an easily accessable database of surviving ww2 armour in the uk,that and it gave me something to do on the weekends.all the best eddy

Being an ex-serviceman is no excuse for blatantly breaking the law.

Steve T

in trouble again.i only want to aquire and restore some ww2 armour maybe i'm going about it the wrong way but at least i am going about it,"a life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"ok i may be giulty of charging into things but that's my way if that offends you then i apologise.no offence intended i mean that really,but i will pursue my interests the same as you do yours.however i will respect what appears to be the majority opinion and not post any more articles that seem to engender such negative responses.eddy

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast