Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Front of a german aircraft.

Article about: Great bit of detective work Holmes, really first-rate. When I saw the photograph I thought to myself 'why so many rivets?'. So what was attached behind the nose-cone to require so many?

Default Re: Front of a german aircraft.

Great bit of detective work Holmes, really first-rate. When I saw the photograph I thought to myself 'why so many rivets?'. So what was attached behind the nose-cone to require so many?

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Great bit of detective work Holmes, really first-rate. When I saw the photograph I thought to myself 'why so many rivets?'. So what was attached behind the nose-cone to require so many?
    Good question. I can't be 100% sure, but I can imagine that the fact that immediately below and behind the reinforced nose cone four 20mm cannons were located and the vibration/ air pressure changes from these when fired could well have a deleterious effect on the nose of the aircraft, causing wrinkling, or worse failure, hence it being strengthened with wooden ribs and possibly tie bars to almost halfway around it's circumference from the bottom up to the horizontal plane.

Another reason that may hold water is the point that the fitting of the airborne interception (AI) radar system, and possibly in the case of the Beau, the gun camera, in the nose could cause problems due to forces of compression in the dive. This was certainly a problem for early AI equipped night fighter Mosquitoes when there were several (non fatal) incidents of the nose cones failing and disintegrating in flight, and the noses of these were subsequently strengthened thus curing the problem.

Either or a combination of both these scenario's make me think that could be the reason for the strengthening of the nose cone, but there may be other factors involved for all I know, but it's plausible I reckon.

Elementary my dear canti, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think this nose cone maybe off a Beaufighter torpedo strike bomber varient. It carried camera's I believe.

Bristol Beaufighter

This is where those magnificant maritime strike images came from.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 05-08-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Grammar correction

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    I think this nose cone is off a Beaufighter torpedo strike bomber varient. It carried camera's I believe.

Bristol Beaufighter

This is where those magnificant maritime strike images came from.
    I think we need to wait until the O.P. 'wrecker' comes back with the 'gen he was going to get on this aircraft, where the wreckage came from and when would really help narrow down the possibilities, and that's assuming it's from a crashed aircraft and not a scrapped one! I would think it would more likely be a night fighter varient rather than a 'Torbeau' due to it's proximity to the two airfields that operated the NF version that I mentioned earlier. Also it's worth bearing in mind that just because it has a camera port, it doesn't mean that one was necessarily fitted, it may have been originally blanked off. But I think it's open to conjecture what mark and type it was unless we get some helpful feedback from 'wrecker' himself regarding the the relic.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Big Ned has nailed it again !!

If it was off a night fighter would not the nose cone have a smaller opening off centre where the AI MK.IV interception radars arrowhead antenna protruded. The construction of this radar equipped MKIIF's nose cone also appears different and may be the type Ned refers to.

Front of a german aircraft.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 05-08-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added image

Thanks all for the detective work,looks like neds hit it on the head with the beau and matches his pictures with camera .Im still awaiting confirmation of its provenance but now know although was used as a closhe in crowbourgh sussex it may have travelled from huntingdonshire,i think im waiting on the grandmother who was wife of man it originally belonged too,so watch this space i will update.ps apple green paint turned out to be algea growth.

Latest news is original owner of the aircraft part was an undertaker near RAF Wyton,supposedly given this from a crash scene,more details to follow as they appear.

There are at least 4 crashes of Beau's in Sussex during the war and probably more as several squadrons in and around the county operated them, and I rather fancy that this nose cone may be fron Sussex and not Huntingdonshire, but who can say at the moment, it's all rather hazy after the intervening years it would appear.

A sample to cogitate over:

30-10-40 219 Sqn Beau Mk1F R2065 Flew into trees at Balcombe, Sussex returning from ops, crew killed.

8-2-41 219 Sqn Beau Mk1F R2074 crashed at Gumber Farm Decoy Site, Slindon, Sussex after AI test, 3 crew all killed.

5-6-42 219 Sqn Beau Mk1F RR2267 stalled and crashed at Boxgrove,Sussex during Searchlight Co-Operation flight, crew killed.

5-11-42 141 Sqn Beau Mk1F V8272 crashed into Lavington Hill, Duncton, during ops, crew killed.

There are more including one which lost a prop and crashed into a quarry at sometime, but it takes forever looking through my files. Having said that, you could try tracking down this, as it lists all losses.

The Bristol Beaufighter Crash Log.
    Smith,David J.
    Wirral:Author, n.d.
    Unpaginated:see under date.

Regards, Ned.

Another home run for the 'Nedster"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When will this man slip up?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Front of a german aircraft.  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast