Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German 105mm LeFH18 part ?? ID please? found in UK.

Article about: Hello again everyone, Here is an item dug up at Coleshill House - Home of the Auxiliary Units 1940 - 44. Britain`s secret resistance organisation formed to fight behind the lines in the even

ILH
    ?

Default German 105mm LeFH18 part ?? ID please? found in UK.

Hello again everyone,

Here is an item dug up at Coleshill House - Home of the Auxiliary Units 1940 - 44. Britain`s secret resistance organisation formed to fight behind the lines in the event of a Nazi invasion. yesterday- believed to be from a German LeFH18 105mm Howitzer?

Can anyone confirm or deny this, and which part is it exactly (geussing = elevation/range), please?
    and what do the two symbols/manufacturer's-stamps mean?

German 105mm LeFH18 part ?? ID please? found in UK.German 105mm LeFH18 part ?? ID please? found in UK.German 105mm LeFH18 part ?? ID please? found in UK.German 105mm LeFH18 part ?? ID please? found in UK.German 105mm LeFH18 part ?? ID please? found in UK.

cheers,
    Jim.

?

Default Re: German 105mm LeFH18 part ?? ID please? found in UK.

I suspect this is your piece here: Lovett Artillery - German WW2 10,5cm. l.F.H.18 Sight Mount - it's part of the sight mount. I don't see there being any doubt it's from an lFH18- it's marked pretty clearly and the Waffenamt stamps confirm it's German, so the abbreviation isn't someone else's that just happens to match a German one.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

ILH
    ?

Cheers Matt, that's the one!
    I was pretty certain, but needed scientific grade proof. Now I need to work out the markings winged-V and Eagle-SU(G?).... might help track down the piece's provenance (can always hope ).
    thanks,
    Jim.

Jim

Looks like a perfectly legitimate piece to me.

The two stamps are military inspection stamps - the droop wing Eagle/SU9 marking is in fact from the Weimar period but these continued in use for some time I believe, possibly as late as 1938. You certainly see the Weimar mark on bayonets from 1934/5. The "SU" represents Spandau.

I believe the gun in question came into use in the mid 1930s, so the one that belongs to your sight component is probably pre-war based on the inspection stamp.

The big question of course, is how did it get to Wiltshire ? - I suspect we will never know !

Regards

Richie

ILH
    ?

Thanks Richie,
    that's great info!
    jim.

?

I'd guess it was some sort of enemy equipment evaluation- captured during the early part of the war and shipped back to England to see what they were up against or some such thing; since it's an early model, I can see it being considered outdated and thus discarded and bits melted down or buried- it's my understanding that burying is a common way militaries dispose of stuff...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...