Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German 500lb bomb discovered

Article about: Martin, here is a list of all crashess in Ireland during the war - some substantial remains still exist but the dangers of ordnance lying around have often precluded recovery. Happy hunting

Default Re: German 500lb bomb discovered

Martin, here is a list of all crashess in Ireland during the war - some substantial remains still exist but the dangers of ordnance lying around have often precluded recovery. Happy hunting and take car you don't hurt yourself!!!

Aircraft Landings Ireland 1939 - 1946

Quote by shuggymac1 View Post
    Martin, here is a list of all crashess in Ireland during the war - some substantial remains still exist but the dangers of ordnance lying around have often precluded recovery. Happy hunting and take car you don't hurt yourself!!!

Aircraft Landings Ireland 1939 - 1946
    Nice site link!

I spotted a crash that had a persional link to my father as the pilot was one of the men who flew under my Fathers command out of Chalgrove with the 13th Photo Squadron/7th Photo Group/8th Air Force "Photo Cats" in a Lockheed F-5 Lightning. Just called my Dad who at age 93 remembered the incident and even the pilot's name saying "I was so glad he didn't go down at sea. We lost so many young men that way and most were never found".

Hi
    Thanks for that,I had that link before and it mysteriously went AWOL. It,s strange the report mentions a German bomber going down in that area but the only plane that this site recorded is an American liberator in June 1944.

Martin

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Got another bomb related funny for you all.
    In the village where I grew up a local boy, a school friend of mine, showed me a field on the farm where he lived. In the ditches round the field there were German Incendiary bombs. During WW2 this field had moveable lights on poles to make the field resemble a town, a fake town to help prevent the Germans from bombing the local industrial town of Chelmsford. Well every year farmers on the farm ploughed up these Incendiary bombs and, as my school friend told me, upon finding them would place them at the side of one of the old wooden barns on the farm. This collection and storage of these Incendiary bombs went on for years unchanged, until one year one of the bombs fell off the top of the pile and started a rather large fire ...no more barn.
    Regards, Simon.
    OOPS ! anyone hurt?

I have a friend, ( his dad was a RAF pilot - flew Harriers - late 1950's through the 60's )
    who lived on or near airbases when he was a kid. One day he and a chum were
    playing in the ancient ruins of an abbey when they spotted a large bomb
    suspended in the upper remains of the roof. They quickly ran
    and told his mother, who then called the authorities......

-Not too exciting - but true !

Regards, Steve.

Quote by mauser98k View Post
    Looks like I am going to have to mount an expedition to try a find what remains of this plane. Anybody from my neck of the woods interested?

Martin
    doubt im any where near you neck of the woods but i would love to help!
    regards mad.ideas

i re call about 13 years ago when i was 5 going to play at a freinds grandparents house, i was exporing an old brick shead when i found what i thought was an old iron pipe i poked a kick around it a bit and then went on to another shead to play where i found 2 more piece of iron pipe, it turn out these 'pipes' happend to be ww2 250 pounders! oops! needness to stay now of im of the beleif now of run and call the bomb disposal!

How bout the silly German farmer who found what he thought was a big pipe, threw it into the trunk of his Mercedes and then forgot about it. A few days later, he is driving down the road when people are flashing him and waving at him and generally getting out of his way. He finally wonders what is going on and looks in his mirror to see that his trunk is in flames. He pulls over and hauls a** out of there. Now here comes the fire department and tries to extinguish the fire. The more they try, the bigger the fire gets! Turns out, our farmer had a (I think, I am not 100% sure anymore and to lazy to find the newspaper clipping) a 30lbs Incendiary Bomb in his trunk (boot for you Brits). Wonder if his car insurance covered that.

By the way, some more to the original post
    Blow-out sale!
    Get the most bang for the buck!
    No refunds!
    All sales are final!
    A fine piece of history, if it blows you are history too.
    A bombastic deal on this item.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2