MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German 500lb bomb discovered

Article about: Martin, here is a list of all crashess in Ireland during the war - some substantial remains still exist but the dangers of ordnance lying around have often precluded recovery. Happy hunting

Default German 500lb bomb discovered

?

Default Re: German 500lb bomb discovered

Unbelievable if it wasn't true !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Maybe he's been watching Blitz street! I could do with the Spare VW Wheel tho. Money makes people do some Crazy things.

Wow what a story. And after finding in a field he put the 500lb bomb on his tractor(!!!) and drove it back to his girlfriends garage. This man has no sense of self preservation.

I noticed it did not say how much he wanted for it, and i assume it was buyer to collect

steve

?

Too many cliches here to mention ...

"Bomb sells for knock-down price"
    "Bomb goes under the hammer at local auction"
    "Buy one - get one free"

Gary J.

Looks like I am going to have to mount an expedition to try a find what remains of this plane. Anybody from my neck of the woods interested?

Martin

In 1979 in Lampertheim, Germany (where I was raised), a young chimney sweeper came down from an old neighbor's attic in a panic, telling the lady of the house that there was an incendiary device in the attic and that the authorities have to be called right away...The lady says: "Oh that old thing's been up there for years, all we did was patch the roof over it."

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    In 1979 in Lampertheim, Germany (where I was raised), a young chimney sweeper came down from an old neighbor's attic in a panic, telling the lady of the house that there was an incendiary device in the attic and that the authorities have to be called right away...The lady says: "Oh that old thing's been up there for years, all we did was patch the roof over it."
    Holy cow! Some people can really sleep at night. zzzzz

Got another bomb related funny for you all.
    In the village where I grew up a local boy, a school friend of mine, showed me a field on the farm where he lived. In the ditches round the field there were German Incendiary bombs. During WW2 this field had moveable lights on poles to make the field resemble a town, a fake town to help prevent the Germans from bombing the local industrial town of Chelmsford. Well every year farmers on the farm ploughed up these Incendiary bombs and, as my school friend told me, upon finding them would place them at the side of one of the old wooden barns on the farm. This collection and storage of these Incendiary bombs went on for years unchanged, until one year one of the bombs fell off the top of the pile and started a rather large fire ...no more barn.
    Regards, Simon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast