Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

German 88mm Shell Casing picked up 2 miles up the coast from Utah

Article about: The shell casing was found here, in a field behind the beach: (click on stp9 below) Stp9 Thanks, Swayne

Default Re: German 88mm Shell Casing picked up 2 miles up the coast from Utah

The shell casing was found here, in a field behind the beach: (click on stp9 below)

Stp9

Thanks,
    Swayne

Metal detecting is certainly not allowed along Utah beach. You are not even allowed to 'hand dig' in the side of the dunes due to erosion.
    Items can still be found on the surface of the beach anyway.I walk the dog there most days and usually come back with something.

?

Im confused, when i visited the Normandy beaches last year, every single one was being worked on by locals or at least Frenchmen and women, even the local police were sitting along the top roads not remotely interested in what was happening, On Sword beach i counted at least 50 people metal detecting, most with their dogs, so is it one law for us and another for the local populace, as the amount of relics being sold in the shops doesnt seem to be frowned upon or do all the shopkeepers and locals deliberately flaunt the laws of their own country

Nice find
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Cant be certain about the Sword beach end.
    As far as Utah goes though, the mayor of the Sainte marie du Mont commune has banned detecting in the area and the gendarmes are quite hot. I think a lot of this is due to a serious accident some 18 months to 2 years ago when a collector/digger lost both hands in an explosion while defusing something. Once out of hospital he was sent to jail. Apparently he had some ton or so of live ordnance in his possession.
    Also the Utah beach museum dont like us detecting, they just want the stuff themselves. People do detect here, but best to keep a wary eye open. I do!
    There are plenty of sites inland from Utah that are relatively safe to dig, just ask the farmers and they are often fine with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123