Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

German aircraft shot down over Portsmouth

Article about: Does anyone have any info on the discovery of a shot down Dornier in Portsmouth harbour? When I was a young school boy at the end of the 60's early 70's my mates and I used to fool around on

Default German aircraft shot down over Portsmouth

Does anyone have any info on the discovery of a shot down Dornier in Portsmouth harbour?
    When I was a young school boy at the end of the 60's early 70's my mates and I used to fool around on the mudflats of the harbour searching for cannon balls, spent ammo, clay pipes and anything of interest as well as bait digging for our fishing trips.
    But I always remember that an aircraft was found after an exceptionally low tide, and the story was that the crew were still in it. I can remember for years a tailfin lay alongside one of the MTB houseboats that laid off Portchester castle, with the swastika clearly visible. The houseboat was the home of twin boys that we went to school with.
    It wasn't until last weekend when my mate and I were testing a boat in the harbour and I mentioned to him about the aircraft, when he replied, that it was him and his mate who discovered it, and had a machinegun off it. But he didn't know what the outcome was. Although he says he can remember a floating crane over the site a few months after.
    I have tried to find out more about it's discovery, but have not come up with anything.
    Does anyone know anything about this discovery?
    Best regards
    Mark

Default Re: German aircraft shot down over Portsmouth

Hi Mark

You may find this link useful

Hampshire Aircraft Crashes and Accidents.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Default Re: German aircraft shot down over Portsmouth

Excellent link Nick. Cheers for that.
    That's an awful lot of aircraft