Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

German drum magazine for Mg

Article about: Hello Adrian, The Dutch did use the 7.92 x 57R (rimmed) round. This is not interchangeable with the German 7,92 x 57. The Duitch 7.92 x57R is easily confused wityh the .303 round! Cheers, Em

?

Nice one Ned In theory it could even be from WW1. Smolensk Oblast have seen a lot of battle over time. Napoleon were also there in 1812. We are actually driving on some of the old Napoleon roads sometimes.

Regards, Lars

The Americans did use a a 30-06 chambered Lewis gun on many of their ships but it was never officially adopted by the army. It is possible some of these were shipped over to Russia in amongst all the other equipment that was sent.

Now I know I risk a lot of swearing by saying this, but you're positive they are 7.92mm rounds and not 30-06 now aren't you? Have you checked the headstamp??

Hehehehehe ................... I feel like I've just been poking a caged tiger with a big stick without noticing the cage door was open.

*****TAKE COVER******

Have you ever found much from Nap's expedition Lars?

?

I don't think i have any of the casings here because it's illegal to bring back live ammunition but i have some casings from the dig of course. Will take a look sometime tomorrow.

I found this mag with a lot of rounds spread around the site. These i checked the head stamp on but i don't think i actually checked the ones in the mag However i am sure one of the guys did and said it was German. He was quite exited about it because he have never seen a German disc/drum mag.

Anyway we might have taken them for German because they are not rimmed 7.62x54R rounds. We dig rounds to determine if we are on Soviet or German sites, so when we find rimless cartridges they are of course deemed "German". Anyway i always clean the bottom of the rounds in my trousers. I am quite sure they are German 7.92 rounds but now you got me thinking mate

Did the Soviets receive 30-06 Lewis guns from the Lend-Lease program?

Cheers

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Have you ever found much from Nap's expedition Lars?
    No Andy. I am sad to say i have not yet found anything from that period. Some WW1 items we can find in Smolensk. I am sure there must be something from the battles in 1812. It was at that time the largest battle in history or the largest armies clashing together.

Cheers

seek and you shall find,Datrus

?

I guess i will have to look into where the battles of 1812 and so took place

Regards, Lars

It is a distinct possibility they did Lars. The British and Americans sent every kind of weird and wonderful stuff. In the excitement of digging it is all too easy to mistake 30-06 for 7.92s, even though they are slightly longer. If you expect to find German 7.92s, that's what you see ! (spoken from experience.......digging an old USAAF base in England I found four 30cals, (because that's what I expected them to be), next to a barracks site. It wasn't until I got home and cleaned them that I realised they were 7.92 German, dropped by the POWs that were housed at the site at the end of the war ).

?

That is true Steve. We find all sorts of things from the Western allies. Quite a few part from Bren carriers actually, such as track wheels etc

I had some Danes with me on the trip(forum members) and they said it was surely German ammunition in the drum. I just came back from the airport taking them to the plane so we discussed it a bit. Yes it is quite funny how "biased" one can be in digging.

Cheers

As mentioned in the other thread, the Dutch used Lewis guns which were taken in second line use by the Germans. Most were 6.5x53R though. However the Dutch cavalry and airforce used the 7.92mm version.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast