Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German VDM aircraft propeller from Dorset

Article about: by napalm I had a few drinkies on board when I posted :-) however I digress, I would love to have seen it preserved as close to original as possible and not chromed, Imagine if we took a dou

Dali
    ?

Default German VDM aircraft propeller from Dorset

Hi all. I know that there are some very knowledgeable people out there and would like some help please. About 2 years ago I purchased an aircraft propeller that was recovered by divers /a diving club from Dorset just off the coast of Mupe Bay, itself on the Jurassic coast near Lulworth. It was quite corroded and I have now had it mirror polished and it sits in my living room.

Given the precision of the location from which the propeller was recovered I would be interested whether anyone has any suggestions as to which aircraft it comes from and which loss. I would also welcome information as to where I might find serial numbers or other identifiers to give further clues.

I will look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance for any responses.

Thanks

Neil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German VDM aircraft propeller from Dorset   German VDM aircraft propeller from Dorset  

German VDM aircraft propeller from Dorset   German VDM aircraft propeller from Dorset  

ILH
    ?

Default Re: German VDM aircraft propeller from Dorset

Hi Neil,

Nice item, what have the divers found out from the RAF Historical Branch (I'm presuming they found it in the last 15 years and have the paperwork)?

If the German markings are like the British then they are'nt meant to be decodable; all they can tell you is type of aircraft and possibly a manufacture date.
    Blades look kind of Heinkel-ish, but I'm not an Axis enthusiast so I could be well out.

Jim.

Gee. You must have a big living room! I bet that makes one heck of a conversation piece huh? Nice clean up on it. (I don't know what it's from though) Ron

Hi Neil, that is really cool, but I can't help you on identification either. Thanks for showing.

Jay

?

Hi and not to disparage but I find it hard to reconcile preserving a historical piece and mirror polishing it but thats just mho. I think it looks like sh1t...just expressing an opinion...

?

Disagree. Letting it rust away into oblivion is not preservation, returning it to original condition, and keeping it that way, is. IMHO.

It's a damn good looking "pos"! I'd have done the same Neil! It seems to be a tribute in a way.I agree with eric.My wife would have different thoughts about it though.(in the living room that is) I'm lucky to get away with what I do. Ron

Dali
    ?

Thank you to you all for your responses even the negative one. The negative response is the first I have ever had; it is such an attractive item that even women like it ! It was recovered in the 1980's so there is no other information I have on it but I would dearly like to know whet plane it comes from. I omitted to mention in my earlier post that it has .303 strikes in the blades so was definitely shot down by a RAF fighter.

Anyone else who can help; would love to hear from you

Many thanks

Neil

i cant help you on whats its from but i'd just like to say it looks great a different, and extremley attractive way to preserve it,
    im very envious!
    great post, thanks
    regards Mad ideas

?

Quote by ericfg View Post
    Disagree. Letting it rust away into oblivion is not preservation, returning it to original condition, and keeping it that way, is. IMHO.
    I had a few drinkies on board when I posted :-) however I digress, I would love to have seen it preserved as close to original as possible and not chromed, Imagine if we took a dd ss relic helm with 90% original decals extant and chromed the rest of it????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast