Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!

Article about: Hello Seb, some of the part numbers start with 57, although usually HP 57 for Handley Page, a prefix for Halifax bomber parts. A bit of a guess but I'm pretty sure even Hamilcar gliders didn

Default Glider(?) parts :pics added!!

Hello dear old chaps!
    A relative of mine posted this morning some parts his great father "recovered" on an allied glidder in 1944.
    Can you identify the model ,please.I am really amazed by the quality of the English made parts!!!As brand new 70 years after!!
    They appear to come from the vicinity of the Eteignere airfield,in the french Ardennes.
    I have to confess i am close to the zero regarding the history in this area of France.
    So your help is warmly welcomed!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!   Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!  

Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!   Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!  

Last edited by sebfrench76; 02-21-2012 at 09:41 PM.

?

Default re: Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!

Looks like parts of the system that controlled the control surfaces. Last photo at the bottom right, seems to be a panel switch.

Nitram

They may have Air Ministry codes on them somewhere Seb. Can you check them carefully and see if there are any ?

Hi Seb, try here:

Home

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Seb,

Valve block assy with hydraulic connections annd crank arm is deffo an actuating switch , use to make a similar item for Dowty Aero back in the 80's. The method of retaining the ball races in the link arms is not so engineering , centre punch marks!! My old inspector would be turning in his grave!!! Nice items to see and have though, as previously mentioned locate item/serial numbers to establish aircraft type and vehicle location.

Cheers Mart.

Thank you very much.You are as usual really efficient.
    Ade,your site is definitely a jewel.Only Brits can do that...
    I ask my friend to photography the serial numbers,and i come back to you asap,but ,thanks again!
    I

Default Re: Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!

You asked for serial numbers????
    What the hell a camera does he use???Let me swear you that he cannot write properly french,but he's a good photographer!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!   Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!  

Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!   Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!  

Glider(?) parts recovered in 1944: help to ID please!  

Quote by bartman6996 View Post
    Hi Seb,

Valve block assy with hydraulic connections annd crank arm is deffo an actuating switch , use to make a similar item for Dowty Aero back in the 80's. The method of retaining the ball races in the link arms is not so engineering , centre punch marks!! My old inspector would be turning in his grave!!! Nice items to see and have though, as previously mentioned locate item/serial numbers to establish aircraft type and vehicle location.

Cheers Mart.
    Bartmann,

it's not like they intended the kite to make more than one successful landing!

No ideas chaps??

Sorry Seb, I've looked but I can't find a list of glider parts anywhere Best thing to do is have a look for pictures of WW2 gliders and see if you can see any of the parts.

Sorry

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast