Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

gloster javilin wreck in yorkshire

Article about: Hi All went to this wreck last month on a very wet day. the javilin was a delta wing fast jet this one hit the moor very fast after the crew ejected safely not many of these wreck around i w

Default gloster javilin wreck in yorkshire

Hi All
    went to this wreck last month on a very wet day.
    the javilin was a delta wing fast jet this one hit the moor very fast after the crew ejected safely not many of these wreck around i would think.
    As far as i know there are a few in collections but non flying.
    this one is near castle bolton.
    the pick is my son next to one of the main wheel tyres and jet pipe.
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture gloster javilin wreck in yorkshire   gloster javilin wreck in yorkshire  

Default Re: gloster javilin wreck in yorkshire

Any good stuff to pick-up?

thanks for sharing, but remember it is illegal to remove anything from the site (as you probably are aware) leave only footprints and take only memories (and pictures!!) this way its still there for others to see, unfounatly there are none flying but as you said there are still a few kicking around
    regards Mad.ideas

I First visited this site around ten years ago there is till the same amount of wreckage ar there was then more or less so it's one that has not been plundered like some i have visited over the years.
    i agree relics should be left alone but they do rot especially in peat as this one is so eventually only plastic and stainless steel will be left.
    Andy

looks good, nice to see it in relativity good condition (for a jet crash).

We have some wonderful out of the way sites in aus (just need to know where to look).

Luke

A bit more info, interesting to note the pilot was an American on secondment.

Gloster Javelin F.A.W. Mk.5 XA662

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

That's good quality time with your son Andy, my 10 year old son would have a blast walking over a site like that.

Take care,
    Jay

Hi Jay
    i know what you mean i would have at that age.
    on this trip however my son was not so pleased. we parked the car at castle bolton then rode the push bikes to the wreck about 5 miles mostly up hill then it rained most of the way. he was a bit cheesed off by the time we got there.
    we have done a few wrecks the last few years and he is used to it now. infact if we don't find something good like a 50cal sticking out the ground its a bad trip.
    ho the youth of today he is a good kid though and i keep telling him that 50cals are not left laying around these days !!
    good trip though if a little wet my next adventure will in the lake district next week.
    Ned didn't know the pilot was usa he will have had a good story to tell when he got home lucky chap.
    Andy
    Andy